View All

A list of HDC’s upcoming events as well as our annual programs, and breaking preservation news.

 

Events:

 

HDC is always busy, view our Past Events page to see what other evens we’ve held.

Programs:

 

News:

Re:Neighborhood Values: NY Post, July 5, 2014

Demolition freeze may cover 80% of the city: Crains, April 14, 2014

The Historic Districts Council says the city’s historic districts are not to blame for the shortage of affordable housing: Daily News, February 26, 2014

Landlords take aim at rampant landmarking: Crains New York,July 11, 2013

Landmark advocates recall Alamo-like efforts: Chelsea Now, November 3, 2012

New York Landmark Status Misused, Says Group Preservationists say New York’s history under attack:Epoch Times, June 21, 2012

Preservationists Issue Rallying Cry, Prepare to Save Landmarks Law from Big Real Estate: New York Observer, June 14th, 2012

  • 11 bills 1 Day: The Threat to the Landmarks Law

Real Estate Bigs Ready Wrecking Ball for Landmarks Laws: Curbed, June 7, 2012

Historians blast landmarking bills; Comrie says LPC wants total control despite best interests of landowners: Queens Chronicle: May 8,2012

A Quiet War on Landmarks, or Fixing the Problems with the Preservation Commission?: New York Observer, May 2, 2012

LPC speaks out against controversial landmarks bills: The Real Deal  New York City Real Estate News, May 2, 2012

Proposed Bill a ‘Deliberate Attack’ on Landmarks Law, Opponents Say: DNAinfo, May 2, 2012

City Council About to Knee-cap Landmarks Preservation?: Curbed,  May 1, 2012

Preservationists upset about series of Landmarks bills to go before City Council: The Real Deal  New York City Real Estate News, May 01, 2012

  • Landmarks Lion 2012:

Preservationists roar approval of new ‘Lion’ Gratz: The Villager, November 15, 2012

Preservation School

School_JPG

Head back to school with HDC

The Historic Districts Council is pleased to present a series of classes that will illuminate the essentials of historic preservation. Whether you live in a historic district, sit on your local community board or just want to learn about the built environment of your city, these classes will provide a knowledge and vocabulary for historic preservation. Classes will cover the basics including an introduction to preservation, zoning and New York City building types. They will also instruct hands-on skills including how to read architectural drawings and how to research and photograph buildings.

 

 

Schedule of Classes

northside_president7 Monday

September 8, 2014

6:00 PM

Preservation 101 Join Tara Kelly, Executive Director of Friends of the Upper East Side Historic Districts, for this introductory course on preservation — what is it, what tools are needed, and how you can get involved.

SOLD OUT

brooklyn-suburbs-nypl Wednesday

October 15, 2014

6:00 PM

Historic Building Research Architectural Historian Gregory Dietrich will guide participants on research strategies and procedures, as well as important repositories and document types. Learn the basics of how to investigate the origins and stories behind historic properties.

SOLD OUT

View Gregory Dietrich’s presentation

by clicking here 

realestate120709_rowhouse_560 Monday

November 10, 2014

6:00 PM

NYC Architectural Styles This program will focus on common architectural styles found in New York City’s historic built environment. [Speaker] will provide an overview of the city’s building types and distinguishing features.

SOLD OUT

incarnation-landmark-building-plaque Monday

December 8, 2014

6:00 PM

NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission and State/National Register of Historic Places Designation Architectural Historian Kerri Culhane will discuss the process of designation by the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission and the State and National Register of Historic Places, highlighting the benefits and differences between the two, as well as their usefulness as preservation mechanisms.

SOLD OUT

zh_height_factor Monday

February 9, 2015

6:00 PM

Zoning 101 Upzoning, downzoning, Floor Area Ratio, oh my! Participants will learn the basics of zoning vocabulary and policies. Speaker (TBA) will illuminate what zoning and changes in zoning regulations mean for your community’s historic built environment.

SOLD OUT

SunsetPark-8 Monday

March 9, 2015

6:00 PM

Architectural Photography Join photographer and chair of the Sunset Park Landmarks Committee, Lynn Massimo, in this hands-on session about best practices in architectural photography. Learn tips and tricks for getting the best possible photograph of your building or neighborhood.

SOLD OUT

DKoepp_NYC_TH Monday

April 13, 2015

6:00 PM

Reading Architectural Drawings Architectural drawings and renderings illustrate the often complicated design and construction plans for proposed building projects. Join architect Brendan Coburn to learn how to understand and evaluate the information that these documents present.

SOLD OUT

4416779971_5ac0d6a112_z Monday

May 11, 2015

6:00 PM

Building Materials The buildings of New York City are constructed using a wide variety of materials: terra-cotta, brick, brownstone, concrete and much more. Join Dan Allen, preservation architect, to learn how these materials are employed, how to identify them, and “scratch the surface” on their maintenance and conservation.

SOLD OUT

 

Classes will take place at:

Neighborhood Preservation Center

232 East 11 Street

New York, NY 10003

6:00PM

Light refreshments to be served

Classes:

$10 each or $60 for all 8

Scholarships available

please contact Barbara Zay at bzay@hdc.org

Category: Featured · Tags:

Defending Historic Preservation in New York City

The demolition of the Dakota Stables

Although community advocates have achieved some big successes in recent years gaining long-sought landmark designations and thwarting (or at least modifying) destructive proposals to historic buildings, historic preservation as both a strategy and as a philosophy is under attack as never before. Emboldened by years of record growth, the Real Estate Board of New York, the principal lobbyist for organized real estate, has been relentless in its campaign to undermine the Landmarks Law and all community preservation efforts. They are accusing preservation efforts of driving up housing costs, endangering affordable housing, stopping job creation and economic growth, protecting worthless buildings and penalizing home and business owners with costly fees and delays. To hear them tell it, landmark designation will transform New York into a lifeless museum city with a “look but don’t touch” mentality. HDC feels that nothing could be further from the truth. REBNY even pursued a serious lobbying effort to transform and weaken the Landmarks Law through a series of bills which would transform how the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated and regulated historic properties. Through HDC’s mobilization of the preservation community, this specific effort was defeated but the threat to preservation laws and historic buildings is still very real.

Preservation practices empower communities, celebrate our history, drive economic growth and sustain development efforts. Preservation enhances our streetscapes, nurtures tourism, encourages investment and employs local labor. It is a popular, populist movement driven by regular New Yorkers who value their homes and their city. The Historic Districts Council works with community groups throughout the five boroughs on efforts to save, preserve and enhance the special character of New York’s historic neighborhoods. We work with communities from areas as different as the Upper West Side and Bedford-Stuyvesant on the shared goal of empowering the community to have a voice in determining their own future. These two communities are ones whose efforts we honored at the Grassroots Preservation Awards and whose successes have been targeted as “over-reaching” by the real estate lobby.

HDC will continue counter arguing REBNY as long as they continue to release studies based on lies  and misconceptions. The threat that REBNY faces to New Yorker’s is very real. Through HDC’s mobilization and education we have been able to keep the preservation community strong, but we will never be as loud as REBNY. We need all the support of our neighborhood partners, history lovers, and lovers of New York.

Additional Resources:

Preservation and Job Creation

Press

 

 HDC continues to vigilantly defend New York City’s Landmarks Law and promotes efforts to strengthen protections for historic buildings. This section will be updated regularly with current events regarding this issue.

Update from Professor Glaeser and Friends: Historic Preservation is bad for a city’s health.

Posted by on Friday, December 19, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

In September, the National Bureau of Economic Research published Preserving History or Hindering Growth? The Heterogeneous Effects of Historic Districts on Local Housing Markets in New York City , a new working paper by economist Edward Glaeser of Harvard University and four co-authors: Vicki Been (now Commissioner of Housing, Preservation and Development in the De Blasio administration, formerly of the Wagner School of NYU), Ingrid Gould Ellen (Wagner School of Public Service, NYU), Michael Gedal (Federal Reserve Bank of New York), and Brian J. McCabe (Georgetown University). [You can access the paper here: http://heartland.org/sites/default/files/4793-w20446.pdf]

The authors conclude with scientific certainty that historic district designations in Manhattan have a negative impact on property values. This is an argument that Professor Glaeser has been pushing for years, but now he has buttressed his argument with rock solid mathematical proof.

The authors have reduced the city, its historic neighborhoods, and its quality of life to a mathematical formula. The variables they plug into their formula include aesthetics and demand, prices and “historic amenity values,” building heights, redevelopment costs, and more. And what result does running this formula produce? “Designation raises property values within historic districts, but only outside of Manhattan. In areas where the value of the option to build unrestricted is higher, designation has a less positive effect on property values within the district.”

Underlying this argument is nothing more than an assumption that only unfettered real estate development is the engine of economic prosperity. And the way to reach that conclusion is to conclude that real estate is operating on a tabula rasa. In this article, the authors elide that assumption by introducing such variables as “aesthetic value,” as in “the optimal aesthetic value of new building given buyers’ preferences,” or “minimum possible aesthetic level given current regulations and technology.” Really, those are the supposedly quantifiable variables the authors plug into their formulas to reach conclusion like this: “Preservation districts will raise unit prices if the initial aesthetic level of the area is higher than the typical level for new construction, but will lower prices otherwise. This statement looks only at the value of units for use, and doesn’t consider that unit prices also capture the option of rebuilding … if initial aesthetics are sufficiently low, preservation also destroys total value. If initial aesthetic levels are higher, preservation can increase value when initial heights are sufficiently low, at least relative to the maximum build-out that is possible in New York.”

If I may attempt to translate: some historic districts are not pretty enough to merit designation and the city would be better off if the areas were developed to the maximum allowable. Otherwise, historic districts are destroying value, pure and simple.

Tellingly, Glaeser and friends offer no concrete examples. They do not apply their pseudo-scientific formulae to any specific historic district. So we must ask: which historic district suffers from such low aesthetic values that it a drag on urban dynamism, and which districts are blessed with the high aesthetic levels that enhance value?

One has to wonder whether the real target is zoning. At present, each historic district is built out close to the allowable zoning. Development potential of perhaps 10 percent remains. So are we to believe that landmark designation is responsible for the lack of new construction? Even if the historic district designation was magically removed, zoning restrictions would remain. Tear down the buildings in Chelsea or Greenwich Village or Ladies Mile or Park Slope or Sunnyside Gardens and you would not be allowed to build anything much bigger.

But the word zoning does not enter their argument. The very concept of zoning is absent. In their analysis, only historic district designations impede the realization of the city’s bigger and taller destiny. Stripped of all the mathematical symbols, formulae, and logical propositions, Prof. Glaeser and his colleagues have offered a familiar and, to many New Yorkers, discredited message: historic districts are bad because they prevent maximum build-out. The Historic Districts Council and generations of New Yorkers beg to differ.

 

Jeffrey A. Kroessler

December 18, 2014

Category: Designation · Tags: , , , , , , ,

HDC@LPC – December 16, 2014

Posted by on Monday, December 15, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

Item 6

 

56-58 Warren Street – Tribeca South Historic District Extension

 

14-5913 – Block 136, Lot 12, Zoned M-15

 

Community District 1, Manhattan

 

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

A Renaissance Revival style store and lofts building designed by Elians and James R. Brevoort and built in 1880-1881. Application to replace the sidewalk.

56-58 Warren Street cropped

 

HDC is pleased that the applicant is preserving the granite sidewalk, which is called out as a site feature in the designation report. This is a good example of putting a historic and quality material back and not conceding to a lesser, inappropriate option, like concrete. We hope that future applications in this district, where paving materials are often replaced, follow this example.

LPC determination: APPROVED

 

Item 7

 

1 White Street – Tribeca East Historic District

 

16-3455– Block 178, Lot 21, Zoned C6-2A

 

Community District 1, Manhattan

 

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

 

A Federal style building built in 1807 and altered in 1857. Application is to construct a barrier-free access ramp, roof bulkhead and railings, and replace storefront infill and windows.

1 White Street cropped

Considering the scope of this project, it is paramount to move all of its components in the correct direction. To begin, the windows proposed match inappropriate windows. HDC suggests a consistent window treatment that adheres to a historic configuration illustrated in the tax photo. Next, the Committee suggests a better-detailed storefront; this current proposal seems a little too “off the shelf.” Finally, the rooftop bulkheads overwhelm this little building on a corner lot. While the Committee was comfortable with the visibility of the railing, we strongly suggest finding a better solution to the bulk.

LPC determination: APPROVED

 

Item 8

58 Bleecker Street – NoHo Historic District

 

16-0052 – Block 533, Lot 31, Zoned M1-5B

 

Community District 2, Manhattan

 

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

An altered carriage house built c. 1825-27. Application is to legalize rooftop HVAC equipment installed without Landmarks Preservation Commission permit(s).

58 Bleecker

This Federal-style intact dwelling and carriage complex is a surprising treat along Crosby Street. HDC suggests moving the dunnage and HVAC equipment off of the carriage house and to the rear of the adjacent building’s roof to minimize visibility.

LPC determination: APPROVED

 

Item 10

 

239-243 11th Avenue – West Chelsea Historic District

 

16-4393 – Block 670, Lot 70, Zoned M1-5

 

Community District 4, Manhattan

 

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

An Industrial neo-Classical style warehouse and freight terminal designed by Maurice Alvin Long, and built in 1912-13. Application is to establish a Master Plan governing the future alterations to the ground floor, and for the installation of infill, canopies, platforms, windows and louvers.

239-243 11th avenue cropped

HDC supports the master plan for the former Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Freight Terminal. This monumental concrete structure deserves a unified and thoughtful treatment. We do suggest, however, that the muntin configuration of the second floor windows be extended to the first floor. The divided lights on the ground floor will appear more authentic and enhance the retail experience by giving this nouveau-industrial look its finishing touch.

LPC determination: APPROVED

 

Item 11

 

8-10 West 17th Street – Ladies’ Mile Historic District

 

16-3857 – Block 818, Lot 57, Zoned C6-4A

 

Community District 5, Manhattan

 

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

A mid-20th Century Commercial style office and warehouse building designed by Belfatto & Pavarini and built in 1961-63. Application is to demolish the building and construct a new building.

8-10 west 17 cropped(1) 8-10 west 17 cropped

Unlike recent demolition applications like 807 Park Avenue, HDC finds it acceptable to replace this building with another building. The Committee was swayed to consider replacing this building because of the photographic essay submitted with its application. 8-10 West 17th Street appeared in pallor compared to the examples provided of the fanciful Ladies Mile-quality buildings in the district. Further, it is demonstrated that this building is not a colleague among the urbane, Modern buildings completed by architects Belfatto and Pavarini. With an array of exquisite architecture researched as part of this proposal, HDC agreed that the current design for the new building left something to be desired. The Committee suggests looking to the examples that were provided, determining what made them successful works of architecture, and drawing inspiration to create a more refined design for this new building.

LPC determination: APPROVED with modifications

Item 12

 

820 Park Avenue –Upper East Side Historic District

 

16-2780 – Block 1377, Lot 7501, Zoned R10

 

Community District 8, Manhattan

 

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

A neo-Medieval style apartment building designed by Henry Allen Jacobs and built in 1926-27. Application is to replace windows.

stained glass cropped

The Committee agreed that there are many options short of discarding beautiful, historic windows. These windows have survived many decades and add to the charm of this residence. HDC suggests re-leading the stained glass and setting them within new frames, as they are far from beyond repair.

LPC determination: APPROVED

Category: HDC@LPC · Tags:

South Street Seaport CB1 Preservation Committee Statement of the Historic Districts Council

Posted by on Thursday, December 11, 2014 · 8 Comments 

Statement of the Historic Districts Council

Community Board 1 Manhattan

December 10, 2014

 

The Historic Districts Council is the advocate for New York City’s designated historic districts, individual landmarks and structures meriting preservation.  We thank you for this opportunity to voice our opinions on the future of the South Street Seaport, one of the city’s oldest and most distinctive neighborhoods.

Schermerhorn Row

Built in 1810-12, Schermerhorn Row represents the earliest commercial-style architecture in New York City.  Commerce in New York City began here, and for over two centuries, this group of buildings has survived as the heart of the Seaport.  HDC is disturbed by the proposal to convert these rare spaces into housing of any type—affordable or not. Home to the South Street Seaport Museum, this conversion would effectively divorce the museum from its history, including the time capsule gem: the Fulton Ferry Hotel spaces. Not long ago this remarkable collection of buildings received expensive and publicly funded interior renovations to be able to operate commercially and as a museum. This functional use remains relevant and constructing a new building for the museum is unnecessary. Residential conversion will erase these spaces and leave behind only a shell.

Tin Building

Together, the Tin Building and the New Market Building are the city’s last remaining riverfront market halls. With only two buildings of this type left in New York City, the redevelopment and adaptive reuse of the Tin Building should preserve it in its original form, unadulterated. Accretions to the Tin Building are not merited as there is abundant space, both in the historic existing buildings and in the impending new construction. Further, HDC feels that moving a landmarked structure compromises its context:  this building type is characterized by its location along the shore’s edge – directly over the water on piles.

The buildings and context of the South Street Seaport have precedence over what is proposed to exist, just as the public’s demands have precedence over the profit-making ambitions of the latest lease-holder.  It is important to remember that most of the district, including the buildings in question, are not private property.  They are owned by the City of New York, and its citizens have the right to help determine their future.

Category: Blog, Manhattan, South Street Seaport · Tags:

Continuing Education- The Shore Thing-12.9.2014

Posted by on Wednesday, December 10, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

Join the Historic Districts Council for an encore of our most popular continuing education program

The Shore Thing: A Practical Seminar on Shoring Methods and Case Studies for Historic Buildings

Untitledverizon4roos04

As a building ages, its structural integrity can weaken. Shoring practices play an imperative role in the safety and security of structures, both new and old. Intended as a temporary solution to structural issues, shoring is a complex process that must take into account  numerous variables such as building materials, ground stability, weather, and surrounding infrastructure.

Topics to be covered will include an in-depth discussion of the process of shoring related to historic structures; the role of preservation contractors in this process; emergency shoring situations; and detailed case studies of shoring of local buildings. The program will feature three speakers, each an expert in this field.

Speakers:

John J McErlean, P.E., S.E.
Principal, Plan B Engineering
*
Eric Hammarberg
Associate Principal,  WJE Engineers & Architects
*
Alastair C. Elliott, PE, LEED AP
Principal, Chief Operating Officer, Robert Silman Associates
***************************************************************************

Tuesday December 9, 2014

8:30 am-Check in

9:00 am-12:00 pm-Program

*

Neighborhood Preservation Center

232 East 11th Street New York, NY 10003

*

Fee:  

Public-$125  

Friends of HDC-$100  

Student- $50

Includes continental breakfast

 

3 AIA Approved LU/HSW Credits/ 3 NY State Licensing Credits

AIA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Become a Friend of HDC and get the discounted rate on this and other programs and events!

To become a Friend of HDC CLICK HERE


Continuing Ed: Shoring Seminar



Category: Architect Panel, Event, Program & Events · Tags:

HDC@LPC – December 9, 2014

Posted by on Monday, December 8, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

Central Ridgewood map
Proposed Central Ridgewood Historic District
 
PROPOSED FOR DESIGNATION
Nine hundred and ninety buildings with various styles and various architects built in the early
20th century.
HDC is pleased to note that the Landmarks Commission has scheduled a vote on the very large Central Ridgewood Historic District at tomorrow’s Public Hearing. The proposed 990-building historic district will be Queen’s newest and largest locally-designated historic district and is part of one of the largest National Register Historic Districts in New York State.
At the 2011 public hearing, HDC spoke in support of the LPC designation saying, “It is interesting to reflect that the same years these buildings were being constructed, there were still spectacular mansions being built along Fifth Avenue for New York’s moneyed class. Ironically, most of those buildings are now gone, demolished in the race to the next new thing, and Ridgewood remains both with us and viable.” 

We are very appreciative that the Landmarks Commission is bringing this forward for a vote – and we look forward to the LPC’s continued survey and designation activity.

LPC determination: Unanimously approved

Items 1 & 2
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
BOROUGH OF Queens
162577- Block 1430, lot 35-
33-53 82nd Street – Jackson Heights Historic District
A neo-French Renaissance style garden apartment building designed by Andrew J. Thomas and built in 1922-23. Application is to install ironwork, awning and lighting.33-54 83rd Street croppedHDC feels that adding an awning is a mistake. It will cover up the primary entrance and its distinguished gothic archway, the focal point of the building. As an alternative, the Committee suggests moving the new gate and intercom inside of the tunnel, eliminating the need for the canopy completely. Also, the Committee found the use of metal mesh applied on both of the new gates entries excessive. If anything, making a fence more opaque is antithetical to security concerns, and we ask that this material be concentrated near the gate handles if absolutely necessary.
LPC determination: Approved with modifications
Item 3
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
BOROUGH OF Brooklyn
154647- Block 2382, lot 13-28 Fillmore Place – Fillmore Place Historic DistrictAn Italianate style flats building built in 1854. Application is to reconstruct the primary façade.28 Fillmore PlaceHDC asks that the treatment of the base of the building be re-examined: it appears to be brownstone, not brick in the tax photograph. As the entire façade is to be reconstructed, it is best to be reassembled correctly. We ask that LPC staff work carefully on this project with the applicant so that as much original material is reused as possible, as 1850s brick are an increasingly rare commodity in New York City.

Item 5

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Brooklyn

156738- Block 436, lot 42-

355 President Street, aka 318-326 Hoyt Street – Carroll Gardens Historic District

A neo-Grec style rowhouse built in 1878. Application is to construct a rear yard addition, demolish a garage, and construct a new building.

355 President Street cropped

Overall, HDC found the proposal very sensitive in its design and approach. As a finishing touch, we suggest adding a corbel or a simple brick frieze to the termination of the rear addition.

LPC determination: Approved

 

Item 6
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
BOROUGH OF Brooklyn
162115- Block 1103, lot 16-454 14th Street – Park Slope Historic DistrictA late Romanesque Revival style rowhouse built in 1894-95. Application is to replace windows.454 14th Street (2) croppedThe Committee appreciates the applicant’s pursuit of returning this window back to its original configuration. We ask that the Commission look closely to the tax photo, which reveals what appears to be a single hung window with a fixed transom, which at first glance appears to be a double hung cut directly in the middle.
LPC determination: Approved

 

Item 7

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

163954- Block 474, lot 26-

38 Greene Street – SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District

A store and warehouse building with French and Italianate style elements designed by Griffith Thomas and built in 1867. Application is to construct a rooftop addition.

38 Greene Street (2) cropped38 Greene Street (4) cropped

One of the defining features of the Soho-Cast Iron Historic District is the culmination of cast-iron into fabulous pressed metal cornices. These monumental terminations sculpt the SoHo street experience into a cornice skyline, and this over-scaled addition would effectively erase these defining edges from no. 38 as well as its neighbors. HDC feels that this addition is large enough to be its own building, and its reflective materiality will call attention to itself. In short, it will be visible from everywhere. If an addition is to be built that is permitted to be visible, it should establish a working relationship to the building it occupies and embrace the context it sits within.

 LPC determination: No Action

 

Item 8

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

164618- Block 511, lot 8-

584-588 Broadway – SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District

A commercial building designed by Buchman and Deisle and built in 1897. Application is to replace entrance infill.

584-588 Broadway cropped

HDC finds this proposal an improvement to the existing door entries, notably the selection of statuary bronze, a quality material. After examining the applicant’s boards, the Committee noticed that an adjacent, original doorway remains on this building. HDC suggests working from this design: the proportions work better, and wood is more cost-effective than statuary bronze.

LPC determination: Approved

 

Items 10-11

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

163760- Block 1216, lot 6-

159-161 West 85th Street – Upper West Side/Central Park West Historic District

A pair of altered combined rowhouses originally built in the Queen Anne style, designed by John G. Prague and built in 1890-91. Application is to construct a rear yard addition.

159-161 W 85 (3) cropped

HDC found that this rear façade appeared too much like a front façade, especially with its eye-catching champagne anodized aluminum panels. The Committee suggests employing a historic material that is found in the district and also one that will weather well. Copper or zinc-coated copper are two suggestions. This two-story extension reaches all the way to the corbelled cornice and crowds it. The Committee suggests eliminating the fourth story extension, which seems like an excessive addition to two adjoined rowhouses.

LPC determination: No Action

Item 12

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

162966- Block 1832, lot 29-

361 Central Park West – Individual Landmark

A Beaux Arts Classical style church designed by Carrere & Hastings and built between 1899-1903. Application is to construct a rooftop addition and install rooftop mechanical equipment, create, enlarge and replace windows, remove stained glass windows, install lighting, security cameras and security deterrents, and install a water feature.

IMG_8142 cropped

IMG_8151 cropped

The Committee found this proposal to be a cruel treatment of an Individual Landmark, particularly the removal of stained glass windows. This building is clearly a church; one imagines that prospective tenants will be attracted to it because of its former life as a house of worship. Therefore, retaining original elements would only add to its value and marketability as a unique residence. There is a national decline in religious congregations and a growing number of residential church conversions in New York City. While HDC welcomes adaptive reuse, reversibility and sensitivity must be guiding factors in design. Arbitrarily cutting window openings into a building described in its designation as being “the finest tradition of Beaux Arts classicism” will be permanently damaging to the landmark.

LPC determination: No Action

Category: HDC@LPC · Tags:

Landmarks Preservation Commission Postpones Vote To Remove 96 Properties for Designation Consideration !!!

Posted by on Friday, December 5, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

 

E-BULLETIN OF THE HISTORIC DISTRICTS COUNCIL

December 2014, Volume 11, Number 2

Landmarks Preservation Commission

Postpones Vote To

 Remove 96 Properties for Designation Consideration !!!

HDC is thrilled to announce that the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission will not be holding a hearing to remove 96 sites from landmark consideration on Tuesday, December 9th. We’ve said plenty of times – nobody likes a backlog and we are committed to working with LPC to remedy this situation in a transparent, appropriate and equitable way.

 

A big thank you to those who supported us and helped spread the word in opposing this threat to the 96 potential landmarks; including all our colleagues in preservation, our neighborhood groups, individuals and local officials, State Senator Tony Avella, State Senator Brad Hoylman, Assemblywoman Linda B. Rosenthal, New York State Assembly Member Steven Cymbowitz, City Council Member Rosie Mendez and City Council Member Ben Kallos. A very special thanks to Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer whose support was pivotal in our efforts.

 

This proposal has awoken needed public interest in the list of “not-quite-landmarks” and HDC will continue to document and publicize those buildings and sites under consideration and under request in an effort to bring needed attention  to their preservation.

 

Here are some more from the list:

 

3833 Amboy Road, Staten Island

 3833 Amboy Road HouseAddress:3833 Amboy RoadArchitect: unknownConstructed: 1843

LPC Action: Calendared 2007; Public Hearing 2007

 

3833 Amboy Road is an increasingly rare reminder of Staten Island’s rural past. A smaller, earlier gable-roofed, clapboarded house was apparently expanded around 1840 to create an impressive farmhouse. Details were added at this time including a paneled door with sidelights, a dentilled cornice and end chimneys. Its 19th-century occupants, a farmer and later an oysterman, reflect the agricultural nature of Staten Island.

Crocheron House, Staten Island

Architect: unknown

Constructed: c. 1819

LPC Action: Calendared in1966

 

Staten Island native and Manhattan merchant Jacob Crocheron constructed this house at 84 Woodrow Road in Greenridge. In 1987, the Staten Island Historical Society purchased the house to prevent its demolition, and relocated it to its present location in Historic Richmond Town. The wood-frame, one-and-a-half-story farmhouse has a gambrel roof with dormers, tall brick chimneys on both side elevations, clapboard and cedar shingle cladding, and columned porches on both the front and back of the house.

 Fairway Apartments, Queens

Fairway Hall 3Address: 76-09 34th Avenue

Architect: Joshua Tabatchnik

Constructed:1936

Calendared: 1990

 

Named for the former golf course on which it stands, this six-story apartment building has a distinct roof line featuring battlements and ramparts. Semicircular towers flank the main entrance on 34th Avenue. Garden areas that were designed as part of Fairway Hall include the front and side courtyards, sidewalk tree plantings, and a grass-covered curb median.

 Old Calvary Cemetery Gatehouse, Queens

 Old Calvary Cem GatehouseAddress: Greenpoint Avenue at Gale AvenueConstructed:1892LPC Action: Calendared 1973; Public Hearing in 1973

 

The Old Calvary Cemetery Gatehouse is designed in the Roman Vernacular Queen Anne style. The Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral trustees had purchased land in Maspeth and built Calvary Cemetery. In 1847, faced with cholera epidemics and a shortage of burial grounds in Manhattan, the New York State Legislature passed the Rural Cemetery Act authorizing nonprofit corporations to operate commercial cemeteries.  The first burial in Calvary Cemetery was in 1848. By 1852 there were 50 burials a day; by the 1990s there were nearly 3 million burials in Calvary Cemetery. It is today one of the largest cemeteries in the US.

First Reformed Church of College Point, Queens

First Reformed Church of College Point (2)-editAddress:118-17 14th AvenueConstructed: 1872-74LPC Action: Calendared 1980; Public Hearing in 1980

 

Constructed in 1872-74, the Carpenter Gothic-style First Reformed Church of College Point reflects the small town, rural nature of this area of Queens in the 19th century.  The church underwent a restoration in 1994 and has recently been restored again after a fire in 2008.

 

Pepsi-Cola Sign, Queens

Pepsi Cola SignAddress:Gantry Plaza State ParkManufacturer: Artkraft StraussConstructed: 1936

LPC Action: Calendared in 1988
The northern portion of what is now Gantry Plaza State Park (opened in May 1998) in Hunters Point was once home to a Pepsi-Cola bottling plant (closed in 1999). A large, red neon sign displaying the brand’s name/logo was erected in 1936 atop the bottling plant. The 120-by-60-foot Pepsi-Cola sign was preserved and placed in the park when the bottling plant was demolished, and has become an iconic part of the Long Island City skyline as seen from midtown Manhattan.

 

Lydia Ann Bell and William J Ahles House, Queens

Ahles House

Address: 39-24 – 39-26 213th Street

Construction. 1873

Builder: Robert M. Bell

LPC Action: Calendared 2009
This impressive Second Empire Style residence is a rare reminder of nineteenth-century Bayside, when it was a village of suburban villas and substantial farmhouses. This house was constructed around 1873 by farmer Robert M. Bell for his daughter Lydia (usually known as Lillie) and her husband John William Ahles, a prominent grain merchant and officer of the New York Produce Exchange and Queens County Agricultural Society.

 

Built only a few years after railroad service reached Bayside in 1866 and residential subdivisions began to replace farms, the Ahles house typifies the substantial Second Empire style suburban villas erected by wealthy businessmen during the 1870′s and 1880′s.  It retains the cubic form and dormered mansard roof typical of the Second Empire Style as well as such details as the molded cornice and hexagonal slate shingles.

 

When J. William Ahles died in 1915, his obituary in the New York Times indicated that his home was “one of the showplaces” of the town. Today this house is thought to be one of the oldest surviving in Bayside and is considered a significant reminder of the neighborhood’s past.

Bowne Street Community Church, Queens

Bowne Street Community ChurchAddress:143-11 Roosevelt Avenue, FlushingConstructed:1891-2LPC Action: Calendared for a Public Hearing in 2003, but never heard.
The Bowne Street Community Church was originally the Reformed Church of Flushing. The congregation grew so rapidly that it out grew its first building. The congregation borrowed money from the Collegiate Church in Manhattan and began construction on the present building which was completed in 1892. The architecture of this new church was stunning. It is a Romanesque Revival with a red brick edifice, with arches topping each of the windows and intricate brickwork and terra cotta tile details. The church is adorned with Tiffany stained glass windows. Agnes Fairchild Northrupby a life-long congregation member and long time Tiffany artist designed the windows for the church. The windows were made by the Louis Tiffany Glass Company of Corona. In 1851, a number of persons withdrew their membership and joined with others in forming the first Congregational Church of Flushing. The Congregational Church was located just across Bowne Street. In 1974, one hundred and twenty three years after they split, the two congregations merged back together and formed The Bowne Street Community Church associated with both the United Church of Christ and the Reformed Church in America.

Garner Mansion, Staten Island

garner mansionAddress: Castelton & Bard AvenuesArchitect: unknownConstructed:  1859-1960

LPC Action: Calendared 1966; Public Hearings 1966, 2010
This Second Empire style, brownstone  mansion has had a number of uses in its lifetime.  One of the few freestanding pre-Civil War era mansions surviving in the city, it was built by Charles Taber, a prominent cotton broker and real estate developer, in 1859-60 and was purchased a decade later William T. Garner, owner of one of the largest textile mills in the nation. Legend has it that the Garner Mansion almost became the summer home of Ulysses S. Grant and his wife Julia. Although the president liked the house, when Mrs. Grant visited the grounds were swarming with mosquitoes and she refused to live there. In the 1880s it housed St. Austin’s Episcopal School for Boys and later St. Austin’s Military Academy.    In 1903 St. Vincent’s Hospital’s opened its first location on Staten Island in the building and soon after added a two-story Colonial Revival style wing to serve as a nurses training school. The W. T. Garner House is now part of Richmond University Medical Center.

Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House, Staten Island

Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor HouseAddress:2286 Richmond RoadBuilt by:  Abraham LakemanConstructed: 1678

LPC Action: Calendared 1966

 

The Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House is a stone Dutch Colonial style farmhouse built by Abraham Lakeman. In 1751 it was bought by Aaron Cortelyou, who’s son in law sold it to Joseph Taylor in 1794, who then sold to the Kirchoffer family in 1928. The house underwent extensive restorative work in 2001-02. Three 17th century fire places and beautiful wall panelings where uncovered during the restoration. It is possibly the last 17th-century building on Staten Island to remain un-landmarked.

 

Sailors’ Snug Harbor, Staten Island

Sailors Snug Harbor

Address:1000 Richmond Terrace

Architect: Minard Lafever and Richard P. Smyth; chapel designed by R. W. Gibson

Constructed: c. 1830-80

LPC Action: Calendared in 1984
Sailors’ Snug Harbor, a home for retired seamen, was founded in 1801 by Captain Robert Richard Randall and operated on Staten Island from 1833 to the 1960s, when it relocated to North Carolina. In 1965, several buildings and interiors were designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, and in 1972, the complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The listing describes the 40-acre campus as “…a rare surviving example of mid-19th-century urban planning, architecture, and landscaping, scarcely equaled in the nation.” Its buildings are described as “Notable example[s] of the Greek Revival Period whose design is marked by fine proportions and details and that this building is an essential component of a unique group of buildings which are a superb manifestation of their background and time.” In 1976, Snug Harbor reopened as the Snug Harbor Cultural Center, which is home to the Staten Island Museum, a botanical garden and a theater. In 1984, a historic district to encompass more than just individual buildings was calendared for a public hearing.

Vanderbilt Mausoleum Moravian Cemetery, Staten Island

Vanderbilt Mausoleum Moravian Cemetery

Address:Moravian Cemetery, 2205 Richmond Road

Architect: Richard Morris Hunt

Constructed: 1885-86

LPC Action: Calendared 1980
Cornelius Vanderbilt and his son William Henry Vanderbilt donated roughly 12 acres (which was subsequently greatly expanded) for Moravian Cemetery. Located within the Vanderbilt family’s private section of the cemetery (not open to the public) is a large mausoleum designed by noted American architect Richard Morris Hunt in the Romanesque style, reportedly a replica of a church in Arles, France. The surrounding landscape was designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted.

Curtis House, Staten Island

CurtisHouseLarge

Address:234 Bard Avenue

Architect: unknown

Constructed: 1853

LPC Action: Calendared 1966 ; Public Hearing 1966
Beyond the architectural charms of this mid-19th century farmhouse, the Curtis House is noted for its relation to hot topics of the time period. George W. Curtis was the editor of the popular political magazine “Harper’s Weekly” as well as a writer, lecturer, reformist and supporter of Abraham Lincoln. It is said that fellow abolitionist and Republican Horace Greeley hid here in the house from mobs of angry pro-South Staten Islanders. Historic detailing including brackets under the eaves and eared windowsills as well as true divided-light windows have recently been restored.

Lady Moody-Van Sicklen House, Brooklyn

Lady Moody's House

Address: 27 Gravesend Neck Road, Brooklyn, NY 11223

Built:  c.1760-1810

LPC Action: Calendared 1966; Public Hearings 1970, 2004
On ground that was originally part of the northwest square of Gravensande there stands an ancient house built partly of rough stone. It is forty-two feet long and thirty-one feet wide. Within, it has heavy oak beams twelve by fourteen inches, wide fireplaces and a narrow flight of steps that climb against its north wall. The house belonged to John Van Sicklen. Although The land where the current house stands was listed as Lady Deborah Moody’s house in the 1890′s by a realtor. This information is believed to be incorrect, for there no proof that the house once belonged to Lady moody; but her name now remains attached to the house.

Lady Deborah Moody, an English expatriate who helped develop Gravesend and was one of the first women to be charted her own land. The land, the house, and the story around are all very much a part of Gravesend’s history.

183-195 Broadway Building, Brooklyn

183-195 Broadway BuildingAddress: 183-195 Broadway

Architect:  William B. Ditmars, Atlantic Iron Works Foundry

Constructed: 1882

LPC Action: Calendared  1986; Public Hearings 1980, 1981, 1984, 1990

 

Now apartments, this loft building was originally home to the James R. Sparrow Company of shoe manufacturers and later to the Forman 4 Family, an appliance manufacturer.  The richly ornamented cast iron façade feature pillars with unique calla lily detailing.

Category: Blog, E-bulletin · Tags: , , , , , ,

Breaking News: LPC Drops Plan to Reconsider Buildings

Posted by on Friday, December 5, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

HDC is thrilled to announce that the New York City  Landmarks Preservation Commission will not be holding a hearing to remove 96 sites from landmark consideration on Tuesday, December 9. We’ve said plenty of times – nobody likes a backlog. HDC is committed to working with LPC to remedy this situation in a transparent, appropriate and equitable way.

THANK YOU everyone who made their voices heard. This belongs to all of you.

For more information, see  The New York Times article by Matt A.V. Chaban, “Landmarks Panel Drops Proposal to Trim List“.

Category: Alert, Blog, de-designation, Designation, individual landmark, Landmarks Preservation Commission, LPC · Tags:

Landmarks Preservation Commission Proposes To Remove 96 Properties for Designation Consideration

Posted by on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 · 4 Comments 

E-BULLETIN OF THE HISTORIC DISTRICTS COUNCIL
December 2014, Volume 11, Number 1

As has been reported in The New York Times, DNAinfo, Gothamist, The New York Post, CBS News and elsewhere, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) has announced an Administrative Action to “de-calendar” 94 proposed Individual Landmarks and 2 proposed Historic Districts from its roster. These properties have been “Calendared” or “Heard But Not Designated” for at least five years.

 

Click here to view the list and maps of properties being removed from consideration.

 

HDC will be highlighting these properties in a series of emails over the coming days. Please see below for the first installment of 11 of these worthy historic resources.

No one likes a back log – we all agree on that. However, there are more efficient and transparent ways to address the backlog than to simply eliminate it. The wholesale removal of these properties without considering each one’s merits would be a severe blow to the properties and to our landmarks process in general. Each landmark has its own story and the LPC is proposing to wash right over them. A series of public discussions to evaluate each of these 96 properties and sites would be a more considered, fair and transparent approach. By contrast, a radical de-calendaring effort could send an unfortunate message that jeopardizes any future effort to designate them.

Furthermore, the properties and sites that the LPC is proposing to remove from its calendar represent years of research, work and support from New Yorkers, elected officials, community groups and the Commission itself. To broadly reject all of this work out of hand with an administrative action is disrespectful of all that effort and dismissive of the judgment of previous Landmarks Commissioners and staff. If these 96 properties and sites are de-calendared, the Commission will not be notified, and any proposed work or demolition may occur as-of-right.

 

What You Can Do

To voice your opposition to this action, please contact:
LPC Chair, Meenakshi Srinivasan: comments@lpc.nyc.gov
Mayor deBlasio: http://www.nyc.gov/html/static/pages/officeofthemayor/contact.shtml

The Commission will be taking a vote on December 9th to remove these properties from current consideration. As of now, there will NOT be an opportunity for public testimony on this item at the Public Meeting. Please stay tuned for information about a rally at the Municipal Building on the day of the Public Meeting.

 

What “Calendaring” Means

When the LPC receives a Request for Evaluation (and it receives hundreds of requests annually), senior staff and the Commission Chair determine whether the property (or area) meets the criteria for designation. The full Commission reviews such potential landmarks at Public Meetings, where it can vote to schedule a Public Hearing on properties for further review. Thus, an item is put “on the calendar” for a future Public Hearing. Sometimes, properties are not acted upon immediately or even for several years for a variety of reasons, but “calendaring” is a definitive sign that the LPC feels a property merits consideration as a landmark, and can be a very powerful tool in the preservation of significant buildings and districts.

Once a building is put on the LPC’s calendar, the Department of Buildings is notified and the building is tagged as such in the DOB records. If a building owner applies to the DOB for a construction, alteration or demolition permit for a calendared building, the DOB will notify the LPC, which then has 40 days to consider the case and, if necessary, to vote on the building’s designation . In other words, if a building is calendared, LPC has 40 days to act to designate it to prevent the issuance of a Buildings permit.

This procedure has led to such last-minute rescues as the Elkins House, Crown Heights North’s oldest house, at 1375 Dean Street, and the Elwell or Father Divine House, an Italianate villa at 70 Lefferts Place in Clinton Hill, which were both literally saved from demolition permits by lightning-fast designation votes by the LPC in October and December 2006, respectively.

———————————————————————————————————

Coney Island Pumping Station, Brooklyn Coney Island Pumping Station_1

Address: 2301 Neptune Avenue
Architect: Irwin S. Chanin
Constructed: 1938
LPC Action: Calendared 1980; Public Hearing in 1980

Irwin S. Chanin is probably best known for impressive landmarks like the Century and Majestic apartment buildings on Central Park West. In Coney Island, Chanin was able to bring the elegant Art Moderene style to a utilitarian structure. The elliptically shaped fire pumping station is faced in limestone over a granite base and features prismatic glass windows with steel surrounds. Now sadly left abandoned in an overgrown lot, the building once proudly stood in the center of a large grassy plot with symmetrical plantings. Three wide, cement walks still lead up to the pump house from the streets, but the paired statues of horses, symbols of Neptune, have been removed to the Brooklyn Museum of Art.

———————————————————————————————————

St. Barbaras RC Church, Brooklyn 

St. Barbaras RC Church- edit

Address: Central Avenue at Bleecker Street
Architect: Helme & Huberty
Constructed: 1907-1910
LPC Action: Calendared 1980; Public Hearing in 1980

The church is said to be named for Barbara Epping, the wife of local brewer Leopold Epping. The church was designed in the Spanish Baroque style. The elaborate exterior includes a beautiful dome. Noted for its 175-foot high cream-colored spires – which the American Institute of Architects guide to New York has described as “wedding-cake icing: edible”. Inside, the church interior is filled with statuary, carvings, frescoes and more than 25 stained glass windows. The church was built to serve German immigrants, many of whom worked in the breweries in the Bushwick area of Brooklyn. Over the years, the congregation has evolved to serve Italians and now Latin Americans.

———————————————————————————————————

Douglaston Historic District Extension, Queens 39-18 Douglaston Parkway_Douglaston Extension.- smjpg

LPC Action: Calendared: 2008 ; Public Hearing 2008

One group of buildings within the proposed district, the Quaid Family farmhouses, were built and occupied by successive generations of the same family from the mid-19th century into the 20th, marking the transition from large farms to smaller ones. Although they take the form of vernacular farmhouses, they do illustrate some design details of the Greek Revival and Italianate styles. Other homes in the proposed district are from the suburban development of Douglaston built between 1890 and 1930 in the Revival styles for which the area is known and display the same fine details and design that are found in the Douglaston and Douglaston Hill Historic Districts.

The inclusion of Public School 98, built 1930-31, and the 1923-24 Community Church of Douglaston helps round out the story of Douglaston as a community. Both institutions were designed in the Colonial Revival style to harmonize with the architecture of the neighborhood while meeting the educational and spiritual needs of the residents. The 1928-1930 Tudor Revival-style apartment building, with many of the same details of the single-family homes, tells another part of the region’s story, increasing population and the construction of multi-family dwellings between the World Wars.

The proposed Douglaston Historic District Extension was part of the community’s original hope for an historic district. This area, whose architecture and history are equal to that of the existing district, should be equally recognized, protected and preserved.

———————————————————————————————————

Former Loew’s 175th Street Theatre, Manhattan Loew's 175th Street Theater -edit

Address: 175th Street & Broadway
Architect: Thomas W. Lamb
Constructed: 1930
LPC Actions: Calendared 1970; Public Hearing in 1970

The former Loew’s 175th Street Theatre opened its doors to the public in 1930 and, with a capacity of 3,600 seats, was the third largest movie theater in America. The building was the last of the five “Wonder Theatres”, grand, exotically-designed flagship theatres of the Loew’s movie theater empire, to be constructed. The exterior facades feature terra-cotta details in a whimsical combination of Art Deco, Egyptian, Aztec, Mayan, Moorish, and Oriental inspired styles designed by famous theater architect Thomas W. Lamb. Today the theatre is a church and is also rented out for special events.

———————————————————————————————————

Spanish Tower Homes, Queens

Spanish Tower Homes-sm

Address: 34-30 to 34-52 75th Street
Architect: J. Case & Peter Schreiner
Construction: 1927
LPC Action: Calendared 1990; Public Hearing 2010

The Spanish Tower Homes include 10 three- and four-story detached tan brick houses. The first floors of these dwellings have no windows and instead feature French doors that open on to wrought-iron balconettes. Some windows on upper floors have original wood shutters, and the corner houses feature fourth-floor loggias. These houses have shared driveways with detached garages in the rear. The Historic Districts Council has long felt these buildings were worthy of designation, both individually or as an extension to the existing Jackson Heights Historic District. HDC named Jackson Heights as one of our Six to Celebrate neighborhoods in 2011.

———————————————————————————————————

92 Harrison Street, Staten Island

12-92 Harrison Street

Address: 92 Harrison Street
Architect: unknown
Construction: ca. 1840
LPC Action: Calendared 1980

Thought to be the oldest on the street, this house was built for Susan M. Tompkins Smith, the daughter of Daniel D. Tompkins, the fourth governor of New York and the Vice President of the United States under James Monroe (1817-25). Ms. Smith grew up on Staten Island. Her brother Minthorne Tompkins and his partner William J. Staples, were instrumental in developing Stapleton. The stately, three-story clapboard house was designed in the Greek Revival style and is perched on an incline at the western end of the street. It features a graceful doorway, a porch with large columns, windows with louvered shutters and a gable roof with a semi-circular window.

HDC named Harrison Street as one of our Six to Celebrate neighborhoods in 2013. 92 Harrison Street is also part of the proposed Harrison Street Historic District which is currently calendared and had a public hearing in 2013.

———————————————————————————————————

IRT Powerhouse, Manhattan

IRT Powerhouse

Address: West 58th & 59th Streets, 11th & 12th Avenues
Architect: Stanford White
Constructed: 1904
LPC Action: Calendared 1979; Public Hearings in 1979, 1990, 2009

Stanford White was able to design in 1904 what today seems like a minor miracle – a utilitarian structure that was highly elegant and ornate. It was all in a day’s work though for White and other City Beautiful proponents who believed that public improvements should be built to create a city that was both functional and beautiful. This monumental structure is a remarkable example of Beaux-Arts design applied to a utilitarian building. In addition to its architectural significance, the building holds an important place in industrial history. When it opened it was the largest powerhouse in the world and provided the energy needed to run the subway which in turn created the modern city of New York.

———————————————————————————————————

5466 Arthur Kill Road House, Staten Island

5466 Arthur Kill Road House

Address: 5466 Arthur Kill Road
Architect: unknown
Constructed: mid-19th century
LPC Action: Calendared 2007; Public Hearing 2007

The Reuben and Mary Wood House, with its symmetrically planned center hall and side gabled roof fronted by a cross gable, is an example of a once-common, now rare mid-19th century rural house type. Its details feature an unusual mix of Greek Revival, Gothic and Italianate styles. The highly intact clapboard covered house retains all of its historic details including window lintels and sills, shutters, door surround and brick chimney.

———————————————————————————————————

65 Schofield Street aka 240 William Avenue, Bronx

65 Schofiled House-flickr-no rights to use

Address:65 Schofield Street
Architect: unknown
Constructed: mid-19th century
LPC Action: Calendared 2009; Public Hearing 2010

City Island is an area of New York City that truly stands out as unusual, a small maritime community that has been embraced but not engulfed by the urban sprawl of the larger city. As noted in the AIA Guide to New York City, 4th Edition, “on the streets that run perpendicular to the fishbone spine of City Island Avenue are more than a handful of distinguished older houses…65 Schofield Street, serene and peeling, seems a candidate for a Hopper painting: austere, venerable, self-confident.” This building is a remarkable example of Italianate farmhouse design, characterized by a square plan, tall windows, flat roof with an overhanging cornice and elaborate brackets. The building’s most striking feature is the one-story porch which runs across the width of the building. Fantastically, the main body of the house is still clad in its original wood clapboard, which, admittedly, is in desperate need of repair, but serves to evoke a sense of architectural antiquity in a way much more common to small New England towns than The Bronx. Aside from its obvious architectural excellence, research has uncovered direct connections between this building and the Pell and Schofield families, prominent families who were deeply involved with the development of City Island. This building is, frankly, an obvious landmark on all counts and should be protected in order to maintain its integrity as a visible, prominent link to City Island’s past.

———————————————————————————————————

St. Michael’s Episcopal Church Complex, Manhattan

St. Michael's Episcopal Church Complex

Address: 227 West 99th Street
Architect: Robert W. Gibson
Construction: 1891
LPC Action: Calendared 1980

The current church building designed by architect Robert W. Gibson and was dedicated on December 16, 1891. It is made of Indiana limestone in the Northern Italian Renaissance or Romanesque-Byzantine style. The church features decorations by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company.

The Parish House of the same style was designed by architects Charles Merry and Robert W. Gibson and completed in 1902. This building was designed for community service and originally contained facilities for a school, laundry and kitchen.

———————————————————————————————————

Brougham Cottage, Staten Island

Brougham Cottage

Address:4745 Amboy Road
Architect: unknown
Constructed: early 18th century
LPC Action: Calendared 2000 ; Public Hearing 2000

The cottage is a living testament to the changing character of Staten Island. The most distinctive feature of its original one-story section, dating from the early part of the 18th century, is the substantial stone chimney that recalls the Island’s rural quality. Eventually, when development began in earnest, the house was used as an office to sell land for a housing development. Now located in a park and managed by the Historic House Trust, it is deserving of landmark status for its long history, as well as its rustic charm.
Stay Connected

 

Category: Blog, E-bulletin · Tags:

Taming Manhattan: An Illustrated Book Talk

Posted by on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

jacket - Taming Manhattan

Taming Manhattan: Environmental Battles in the Antebellum City

An Illustrated Book Talk

 

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Updated Time!   6:30 PM

 

Updated Location!

Silver Center at New York University

100 Washington Square East, Room 300

(Entrance on Waverly Place)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Join former HDC staffer and Portland State University Professor Catherine McNeur as she discusses her recently published book Taming Manhattan: Environmental Battles in the Antebellum City.

Taming Manhattan details the environmental history of the city in the years before and during the Civil War, when pigs roamed the streets and cows foraged in the Battery. As city blocks encroached on farmland and undeveloped space to accommodate an exploding population, prosperous New Yorkers and their poorer neighbors developed very different ideas about what the city environment should contain. This presentation will focus on nineteenth-century New York City’s long forgotten shantytowns, the people living in the communities, and how outsiders viewed the architecture and communities developing on the metropolitan periphery.

This program is free, but reservations are required as space is limited.

To RSVP please contact Michelle Arbulu at marbulu@hdc.org or 212-614-9107.

 

This program is being co-sponsored by the NYU Department of Art History, Urban Design and Architecture Studies

 

 

 

Category: Program & Events · Tags: ,

Proposed December 9, 2014 De-calendaring Items- Postponed

Posted by on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 · 1 Comment 

Update: 

HDC is thrilled to announce that the New York City  Landmarks Preservation Commission will not be holding a hearing to remove 96 sites from landmark consideration on Tuesday, December 9. We’ve said plenty of times – nobody likes a backlog. HDC is committed to working with LPC to remedy this situation in a transparent, appropriate and equitable way.

THANK YOU everyone who made their voices heard. This belongs to all of you.

For more information, see  The New York Times article by Matt A.V. Chaban, “Landmarks Panel Drops Proposal to Trim List“.

———————————————————————————————————

Click on the titles for more information about each site

de-calendar Bronx

6 Ploughmans Bush Building-edit 1. 6 Ploughman’s Bush Building  Bronx, NY, 10471

 

 

65 Schofiled House-flickr-no rights to use2. 65 Schofield Street aka 240 William Avenue Bronx, NY 10464

 

 

Immaculate Conception RC Church Complex-edit3. Immaculate Conception Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Convent, & Priests’ Residence

 

 

First Presbyterian Church of Williamsburg_2-edit4.  First Presbyterian Church of Williamsbridge & Rectory

 

 

5. Samuel Babcock House

de-calendar Brooklyn

 

183-195 Broadway Building1. 183-195 Broadway Building

 

 

Coney Island Pumping Station_12. Coney Island Pumping Station

 

greenwood3. Greenwood Cemetery

 

Holy Trinity Cathedral_Ukranian Church in Exile-edit4. Holy Trinity Cathedral/Ukranian Church in Exile

 

 

Lady Moody's House5. Lady Moody-Van Sicklen House

 

 

St. Augustines RC Church (2)-edit6. St. Augustine’s R.C. Church and Rectory

 

 

St. Barbaras RC Church7. St. Barbara’s R.C. Church

 

 

de-calendar manhattan

 

2 Oliver Street1. 2 Oliver Street House

 

 

57 Sullivan Street2. 57 Sullivan Street House

 

 

3. 138 Second Avenue House

143 Chambers Street 14. 143 Chambers Street

 

 

150 East 38th Street5. 150 East 38th Street House

 

 

315 Broadway-16. 315 Broadway

 

 

7. 412 East 85th Street House

8. Bergdorf Goodman

9. Broadway Theaters

10. Excelsior Power Company Building

11. Hotel Renaissance/Columbia Club

 

IRT Powerhouse12. IRT Powerhouse

 

 

13. James McCreery & Co.

Kaufmann14. Kaufman Conference Rooms Interior

 

 

Loew's 175th Street Theater -edit15. Loew’s 175th Street Theater

 

 

16. Mission of the Immaculate Virgin

 17. Osborne Apartments Interior

 

CAA-house18. President Chester A. Arthur House

 

 

19. Sire Building

Church of St. Joseph 401 West 125th Street20. St. Joseph’s Church

 

 

St. Michael's Episcopal Church Complex21. St. Michael’s Episcopal Church Complex

 

 

 

22. St. Paul’s Church & School

St. Pauls Rectory 117th Street23. St. Paul’s Rectory

 

 

24.Union Square Park

 

Harlem YMCA Jackie Robinson Youth Center 125. YMCA, Harlem Branch

 

 

Yuengling Brewing Complex26. Yuengling Brewery Complex (6 items)

 

 

 

de-calendar queens

Ahles House1. Lydia Ann Bell and William J Ahles House

 

 

Bowne Street Community Church2. Bowne Street Community Church

 

 

39-18 Douglaston Parkway_Douglaston Extension.- smjpg3. Douglaston Historic District Extension

 

Fairway Hall 34. Fairway Apartments

 

 

First Reformed Church of College Point (2)-edit5. First Reformed Church and Sunday School of College Point

 

 

Old Calvary Cem Gatehouse6. Old Calvary Cemetery Gatehouse

 

 

Pepsi Cola Sign7. Pepsi-Cola Sign

 

 

Spanish Tower Homes-sm8. Spanish Towers (10 Items)

 

 

 

de-calendar si

 

12-92 Harrison Street1. 92 Harrison Street House

 

 

122 Androvette Street House2. 122 Androvette Street House

 

 

3833 Amboy Road House3. 3833 Amboy Road House

 

 

5466 Arthur Kill Road House4. 5466 Arthur Kill Road House

 

 

5. 6136 Amboy Road House

 

Brougham Cottage6. Brougham Cottage

 

 

Crocheron House7. Crocheron House

 

 

8. Cunard Hall, Wagner College

CurtisHouseLarge9. Curtis House

 

 

10. Dorothy Day Historic Site

11. Fountain Family Graveyard

garner mansion12. Garner Mansion

 

 

Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House13.  Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House

 

 

14. Muller House

15. Nicholas Killmeyer Store and Residence

 

photo 4 (3)16. Princess Bay Lighthouse and Keeper’s House

 

 

17.Richmond County Country Club

Sailors Snug Harbor18. Sailors’ Snug Harbor Historic District

 

 

19. School District No. 3 Building

 20. St. John’s P.E. Rectory

St. Mary's Church, Rectory and Parish Hall21. St. Mary’s Church, Rectory and Parish Hall

 

 

St. Mary's R.C.Church and Rectory22. St. Mary’s R.C.Church and Rectory

 

 

23. St. Paul’s M.E. Church

24. Sunny Brae House

 

Vanderbilt Mausoleum Moravian Cemetery25. Vanderbilt Mausoleum Moravian Cemetery

 

 

26. Woodbrook/Goodhuse House

 

Category: Blog, Brooklyn, Featured, Historic House, landmarks law, Landmarks Preservation Commission, Special Blog · Tags:

Thanks for Visiting

The Historic Districts Council is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York NY 10003
tel: 212-614-9107
fax: 212-614-9127
email: hdc@hdc.org

Donate To HDC

Become a Friend of HDC! Consider donating to support our efforts.

Follow Us