HDC@LPC – December 9, 2014

Central Ridgewood map
Proposed Central Ridgewood Historic District
 
PROPOSED FOR DESIGNATION
Nine hundred and ninety buildings with various styles and various architects built in the early
20th century.
HDC is pleased to note that the Landmarks Commission has scheduled a vote on the very large Central Ridgewood Historic District at tomorrow’s Public Hearing. The proposed 990-building historic district will be Queen’s newest and largest locally-designated historic district and is part of one of the largest National Register Historic Districts in New York State.
At the 2011 public hearing, HDC spoke in support of the LPC designation saying, “It is interesting to reflect that the same years these buildings were being constructed, there were still spectacular mansions being built along Fifth Avenue for New York’s moneyed class. Ironically, most of those buildings are now gone, demolished in the race to the next new thing, and Ridgewood remains both with us and viable.” 

We are very appreciative that the Landmarks Commission is bringing this forward for a vote – and we look forward to the LPC’s continued survey and designation activity.

LPC determination: Unanimously approved

Items 1 & 2
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
BOROUGH OF Queens
162577- Block 1430, lot 35-
33-53 82nd Street – Jackson Heights Historic District
A neo-French Renaissance style garden apartment building designed by Andrew J. Thomas and built in 1922-23. Application is to install ironwork, awning and lighting.33-54 83rd Street croppedHDC feels that adding an awning is a mistake. It will cover up the primary entrance and its distinguished gothic archway, the focal point of the building. As an alternative, the Committee suggests moving the new gate and intercom inside of the tunnel, eliminating the need for the canopy completely. Also, the Committee found the use of metal mesh applied on both of the new gates entries excessive. If anything, making a fence more opaque is antithetical to security concerns, and we ask that this material be concentrated near the gate handles if absolutely necessary.
LPC determination: Approved with modifications
Item 3
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
BOROUGH OF Brooklyn
154647- Block 2382, lot 13-28 Fillmore Place – Fillmore Place Historic DistrictAn Italianate style flats building built in 1854. Application is to reconstruct the primary façade.28 Fillmore PlaceHDC asks that the treatment of the base of the building be re-examined: it appears to be brownstone, not brick in the tax photograph. As the entire façade is to be reconstructed, it is best to be reassembled correctly. We ask that LPC staff work carefully on this project with the applicant so that as much original material is reused as possible, as 1850s brick are an increasingly rare commodity in New York City.

Item 5

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Brooklyn

156738- Block 436, lot 42-

355 President Street, aka 318-326 Hoyt Street – Carroll Gardens Historic District

A neo-Grec style rowhouse built in 1878. Application is to construct a rear yard addition, demolish a garage, and construct a new building.

355 President Street cropped

Overall, HDC found the proposal very sensitive in its design and approach. As a finishing touch, we suggest adding a corbel or a simple brick frieze to the termination of the rear addition.

LPC determination: Approved

 

Item 6
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
BOROUGH OF Brooklyn
162115- Block 1103, lot 16-454 14th Street – Park Slope Historic DistrictA late Romanesque Revival style rowhouse built in 1894-95. Application is to replace windows.454 14th Street (2) croppedThe Committee appreciates the applicant’s pursuit of returning this window back to its original configuration. We ask that the Commission look closely to the tax photo, which reveals what appears to be a single hung window with a fixed transom, which at first glance appears to be a double hung cut directly in the middle.
LPC determination: Approved

 

Item 7

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

163954- Block 474, lot 26-

38 Greene Street – SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District

A store and warehouse building with French and Italianate style elements designed by Griffith Thomas and built in 1867. Application is to construct a rooftop addition.

38 Greene Street (2) cropped38 Greene Street (4) cropped

One of the defining features of the Soho-Cast Iron Historic District is the culmination of cast-iron into fabulous pressed metal cornices. These monumental terminations sculpt the SoHo street experience into a cornice skyline, and this over-scaled addition would effectively erase these defining edges from no. 38 as well as its neighbors. HDC feels that this addition is large enough to be its own building, and its reflective materiality will call attention to itself. In short, it will be visible from everywhere. If an addition is to be built that is permitted to be visible, it should establish a working relationship to the building it occupies and embrace the context it sits within.

 LPC determination: No Action

 

Item 8

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

164618- Block 511, lot 8-

584-588 Broadway – SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District

A commercial building designed by Buchman and Deisle and built in 1897. Application is to replace entrance infill.

584-588 Broadway cropped

HDC finds this proposal an improvement to the existing door entries, notably the selection of statuary bronze, a quality material. After examining the applicant’s boards, the Committee noticed that an adjacent, original doorway remains on this building. HDC suggests working from this design: the proportions work better, and wood is more cost-effective than statuary bronze.

LPC determination: Approved

 

Items 10-11

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

163760- Block 1216, lot 6-

159-161 West 85th Street – Upper West Side/Central Park West Historic District

A pair of altered combined rowhouses originally built in the Queen Anne style, designed by John G. Prague and built in 1890-91. Application is to construct a rear yard addition.

159-161 W 85 (3) cropped

HDC found that this rear façade appeared too much like a front façade, especially with its eye-catching champagne anodized aluminum panels. The Committee suggests employing a historic material that is found in the district and also one that will weather well. Copper or zinc-coated copper are two suggestions. This two-story extension reaches all the way to the corbelled cornice and crowds it. The Committee suggests eliminating the fourth story extension, which seems like an excessive addition to two adjoined rowhouses.

LPC determination: No Action

Item 12

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

162966- Block 1832, lot 29-

361 Central Park West – Individual Landmark

A Beaux Arts Classical style church designed by Carrere & Hastings and built between 1899-1903. Application is to construct a rooftop addition and install rooftop mechanical equipment, create, enlarge and replace windows, remove stained glass windows, install lighting, security cameras and security deterrents, and install a water feature.

IMG_8142 cropped

IMG_8151 cropped

The Committee found this proposal to be a cruel treatment of an Individual Landmark, particularly the removal of stained glass windows. This building is clearly a church; one imagines that prospective tenants will be attracted to it because of its former life as a house of worship. Therefore, retaining original elements would only add to its value and marketability as a unique residence. There is a national decline in religious congregations and a growing number of residential church conversions in New York City. While HDC welcomes adaptive reuse, reversibility and sensitivity must be guiding factors in design. Arbitrarily cutting window openings into a building described in its designation as being “the finest tradition of Beaux Arts classicism” will be permanently damaging to the landmark.

LPC determination: No Action

Category: HDC@LPC · Tags:

Landmarks Preservation Commission Postpones Vote To Remove 96 Properties for Designation Consideration !!!

 

E-BULLETIN OF THE HISTORIC DISTRICTS COUNCIL

December 2014, Volume 11, Number 2

Landmarks Preservation Commission

Postpones Vote To

 Remove 96 Properties for Designation Consideration !!!

HDC is thrilled to announce that the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission will not be holding a hearing to remove 96 sites from landmark consideration on Tuesday, December 9th. We’ve said plenty of times – nobody likes a backlog and we are committed to working with LPC to remedy this situation in a transparent, appropriate and equitable way.

 

A big thank you to those who supported us and helped spread the word in opposing this threat to the 96 potential landmarks; including all our colleagues in preservation, our neighborhood groups, individuals and local officials, State Senator Tony Avella, State Senator Brad Hoylman, Assemblywoman Linda B. Rosenthal, New York State Assembly Member Steven Cymbowitz, City Council Member Rosie Mendez and City Council Member Ben Kallos. A very special thanks to Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer whose support was pivotal in our efforts.

 

This proposal has awoken needed public interest in the list of “not-quite-landmarks” and HDC will continue to document and publicize those buildings and sites under consideration and under request in an effort to bring needed attention  to their preservation.

 

Here are some more from the list:

 

3833 Amboy Road, Staten Island

 3833 Amboy Road HouseAddress:3833 Amboy RoadArchitect: unknownConstructed: 1843

LPC Action: Calendared 2007; Public Hearing 2007

 

3833 Amboy Road is an increasingly rare reminder of Staten Island’s rural past. A smaller, earlier gable-roofed, clapboarded house was apparently expanded around 1840 to create an impressive farmhouse. Details were added at this time including a paneled door with sidelights, a dentilled cornice and end chimneys. Its 19th-century occupants, a farmer and later an oysterman, reflect the agricultural nature of Staten Island.

Crocheron House, Staten Island

Architect: unknown

Constructed: c. 1819

LPC Action: Calendared in1966

 

Staten Island native and Manhattan merchant Jacob Crocheron constructed this house at 84 Woodrow Road in Greenridge. In 1987, the Staten Island Historical Society purchased the house to prevent its demolition, and relocated it to its present location in Historic Richmond Town. The wood-frame, one-and-a-half-story farmhouse has a gambrel roof with dormers, tall brick chimneys on both side elevations, clapboard and cedar shingle cladding, and columned porches on both the front and back of the house.

 Fairway Apartments, Queens

Fairway Hall 3Address: 76-09 34th Avenue

Architect: Joshua Tabatchnik

Constructed:1936

Calendared: 1990

 

Named for the former golf course on which it stands, this six-story apartment building has a distinct roof line featuring battlements and ramparts. Semicircular towers flank the main entrance on 34th Avenue. Garden areas that were designed as part of Fairway Hall include the front and side courtyards, sidewalk tree plantings, and a grass-covered curb median.

 Old Calvary Cemetery Gatehouse, Queens

 Old Calvary Cem GatehouseAddress: Greenpoint Avenue at Gale AvenueConstructed:1892LPC Action: Calendared 1973; Public Hearing in 1973

 

The Old Calvary Cemetery Gatehouse is designed in the Roman Vernacular Queen Anne style. The Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral trustees had purchased land in Maspeth and built Calvary Cemetery. In 1847, faced with cholera epidemics and a shortage of burial grounds in Manhattan, the New York State Legislature passed the Rural Cemetery Act authorizing nonprofit corporations to operate commercial cemeteries.  The first burial in Calvary Cemetery was in 1848. By 1852 there were 50 burials a day; by the 1990s there were nearly 3 million burials in Calvary Cemetery. It is today one of the largest cemeteries in the US.

First Reformed Church of College Point, Queens

First Reformed Church of College Point (2)-editAddress:118-17 14th AvenueConstructed: 1872-74LPC Action: Calendared 1980; Public Hearing in 1980

 

Constructed in 1872-74, the Carpenter Gothic-style First Reformed Church of College Point reflects the small town, rural nature of this area of Queens in the 19th century.  The church underwent a restoration in 1994 and has recently been restored again after a fire in 2008.

 

Pepsi-Cola Sign, Queens

Pepsi Cola SignAddress:Gantry Plaza State ParkManufacturer: Artkraft StraussConstructed: 1936

LPC Action: Calendared in 1988
The northern portion of what is now Gantry Plaza State Park (opened in May 1998) in Hunters Point was once home to a Pepsi-Cola bottling plant (closed in 1999). A large, red neon sign displaying the brand’s name/logo was erected in 1936 atop the bottling plant. The 120-by-60-foot Pepsi-Cola sign was preserved and placed in the park when the bottling plant was demolished, and has become an iconic part of the Long Island City skyline as seen from midtown Manhattan.

 

Lydia Ann Bell and William J Ahles House, Queens

Ahles House

Address: 39-24 – 39-26 213th Street

Construction. 1873

Builder: Robert M. Bell

LPC Action: Calendared 2009
This impressive Second Empire Style residence is a rare reminder of nineteenth-century Bayside, when it was a village of suburban villas and substantial farmhouses. This house was constructed around 1873 by farmer Robert M. Bell for his daughter Lydia (usually known as Lillie) and her husband John William Ahles, a prominent grain merchant and officer of the New York Produce Exchange and Queens County Agricultural Society.

 

Built only a few years after railroad service reached Bayside in 1866 and residential subdivisions began to replace farms, the Ahles house typifies the substantial Second Empire style suburban villas erected by wealthy businessmen during the 1870′s and 1880′s.  It retains the cubic form and dormered mansard roof typical of the Second Empire Style as well as such details as the molded cornice and hexagonal slate shingles.

 

When J. William Ahles died in 1915, his obituary in the New York Times indicated that his home was “one of the showplaces” of the town. Today this house is thought to be one of the oldest surviving in Bayside and is considered a significant reminder of the neighborhood’s past.

Bowne Street Community Church, Queens

Bowne Street Community ChurchAddress:143-11 Roosevelt Avenue, FlushingConstructed:1891-2LPC Action: Calendared for a Public Hearing in 2003, but never heard.
The Bowne Street Community Church was originally the Reformed Church of Flushing. The congregation grew so rapidly that it out grew its first building. The congregation borrowed money from the Collegiate Church in Manhattan and began construction on the present building which was completed in 1892. The architecture of this new church was stunning. It is a Romanesque Revival with a red brick edifice, with arches topping each of the windows and intricate brickwork and terra cotta tile details. The church is adorned with Tiffany stained glass windows. Agnes Fairchild Northrupby a life-long congregation member and long time Tiffany artist designed the windows for the church. The windows were made by the Louis Tiffany Glass Company of Corona. In 1851, a number of persons withdrew their membership and joined with others in forming the first Congregational Church of Flushing. The Congregational Church was located just across Bowne Street. In 1974, one hundred and twenty three years after they split, the two congregations merged back together and formed The Bowne Street Community Church associated with both the United Church of Christ and the Reformed Church in America.

Garner Mansion, Staten Island

garner mansionAddress: Castelton & Bard AvenuesArchitect: unknownConstructed:  1859-1960

LPC Action: Calendared 1966; Public Hearings 1966, 2010
This Second Empire style, brownstone  mansion has had a number of uses in its lifetime.  One of the few freestanding pre-Civil War era mansions surviving in the city, it was built by Charles Taber, a prominent cotton broker and real estate developer, in 1859-60 and was purchased a decade later William T. Garner, owner of one of the largest textile mills in the nation. Legend has it that the Garner Mansion almost became the summer home of Ulysses S. Grant and his wife Julia. Although the president liked the house, when Mrs. Grant visited the grounds were swarming with mosquitoes and she refused to live there. In the 1880s it housed St. Austin’s Episcopal School for Boys and later St. Austin’s Military Academy.    In 1903 St. Vincent’s Hospital’s opened its first location on Staten Island in the building and soon after added a two-story Colonial Revival style wing to serve as a nurses training school. The W. T. Garner House is now part of Richmond University Medical Center.

Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House, Staten Island

Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor HouseAddress:2286 Richmond RoadBuilt by:  Abraham LakemanConstructed: 1678

LPC Action: Calendared 1966

 

The Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House is a stone Dutch Colonial style farmhouse built by Abraham Lakeman. In 1751 it was bought by Aaron Cortelyou, who’s son in law sold it to Joseph Taylor in 1794, who then sold to the Kirchoffer family in 1928. The house underwent extensive restorative work in 2001-02. Three 17th century fire places and beautiful wall panelings where uncovered during the restoration. It is possibly the last 17th-century building on Staten Island to remain un-landmarked.

 

Sailors’ Snug Harbor, Staten Island

Sailors Snug Harbor

Address:1000 Richmond Terrace

Architect: Minard Lafever and Richard P. Smyth; chapel designed by R. W. Gibson

Constructed: c. 1830-80

LPC Action: Calendared in 1984
Sailors’ Snug Harbor, a home for retired seamen, was founded in 1801 by Captain Robert Richard Randall and operated on Staten Island from 1833 to the 1960s, when it relocated to North Carolina. In 1965, several buildings and interiors were designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, and in 1972, the complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The listing describes the 40-acre campus as “…a rare surviving example of mid-19th-century urban planning, architecture, and landscaping, scarcely equaled in the nation.” Its buildings are described as “Notable example[s] of the Greek Revival Period whose design is marked by fine proportions and details and that this building is an essential component of a unique group of buildings which are a superb manifestation of their background and time.” In 1976, Snug Harbor reopened as the Snug Harbor Cultural Center, which is home to the Staten Island Museum, a botanical garden and a theater. In 1984, a historic district to encompass more than just individual buildings was calendared for a public hearing.

Vanderbilt Mausoleum Moravian Cemetery, Staten Island

Vanderbilt Mausoleum Moravian Cemetery

Address:Moravian Cemetery, 2205 Richmond Road

Architect: Richard Morris Hunt

Constructed: 1885-86

LPC Action: Calendared 1980
Cornelius Vanderbilt and his son William Henry Vanderbilt donated roughly 12 acres (which was subsequently greatly expanded) for Moravian Cemetery. Located within the Vanderbilt family’s private section of the cemetery (not open to the public) is a large mausoleum designed by noted American architect Richard Morris Hunt in the Romanesque style, reportedly a replica of a church in Arles, France. The surrounding landscape was designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted.

Curtis House, Staten Island

CurtisHouseLarge

Address:234 Bard Avenue

Architect: unknown

Constructed: 1853

LPC Action: Calendared 1966 ; Public Hearing 1966
Beyond the architectural charms of this mid-19th century farmhouse, the Curtis House is noted for its relation to hot topics of the time period. George W. Curtis was the editor of the popular political magazine “Harper’s Weekly” as well as a writer, lecturer, reformist and supporter of Abraham Lincoln. It is said that fellow abolitionist and Republican Horace Greeley hid here in the house from mobs of angry pro-South Staten Islanders. Historic detailing including brackets under the eaves and eared windowsills as well as true divided-light windows have recently been restored.

Lady Moody-Van Sicklen House, Brooklyn

Lady Moody's House

Address: 27 Gravesend Neck Road, Brooklyn, NY 11223

Built:  c.1760-1810

LPC Action: Calendared 1966; Public Hearings 1970, 2004
On ground that was originally part of the northwest square of Gravensande there stands an ancient house built partly of rough stone. It is forty-two feet long and thirty-one feet wide. Within, it has heavy oak beams twelve by fourteen inches, wide fireplaces and a narrow flight of steps that climb against its north wall. The house belonged to John Van Sicklen. Although The land where the current house stands was listed as Lady Deborah Moody’s house in the 1890′s by a realtor. This information is believed to be incorrect, for there no proof that the house once belonged to Lady moody; but her name now remains attached to the house.

Lady Deborah Moody, an English expatriate who helped develop Gravesend and was one of the first women to be charted her own land. The land, the house, and the story around are all very much a part of Gravesend’s history.

183-195 Broadway Building, Brooklyn

183-195 Broadway BuildingAddress: 183-195 Broadway

Architect:  William B. Ditmars, Atlantic Iron Works Foundry

Constructed: 1882

LPC Action: Calendared  1986; Public Hearings 1980, 1981, 1984, 1990

 

Now apartments, this loft building was originally home to the James R. Sparrow Company of shoe manufacturers and later to the Forman 4 Family, an appliance manufacturer.  The richly ornamented cast iron façade feature pillars with unique calla lily detailing.

Breaking News: LPC Drops Plan to Reconsider Buildings

HDC is thrilled to announce that the New York City  Landmarks Preservation Commission will not be holding a hearing to remove 96 sites from landmark consideration on Tuesday, December 9. We’ve said plenty of times – nobody likes a backlog. HDC is committed to working with LPC to remedy this situation in a transparent, appropriate and equitable way.

THANK YOU everyone who made their voices heard. This belongs to all of you.

For more information, see  The New York Times article by Matt A.V. Chaban, “Landmarks Panel Drops Proposal to Trim List“.

Landmarks Preservation Commission Proposes To Remove 96 Properties for Designation Consideration

Posted by on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 · 4 Comments 

E-BULLETIN OF THE HISTORIC DISTRICTS COUNCIL
December 2014, Volume 11, Number 1

As has been reported in The New York Times, DNAinfo, Gothamist, The New York Post, CBS News and elsewhere, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) has announced an Administrative Action to “de-calendar” 94 proposed Individual Landmarks and 2 proposed Historic Districts from its roster. These properties have been “Calendared” or “Heard But Not Designated” for at least five years.

 

Click here to view the list and maps of properties being removed from consideration.

 

HDC will be highlighting these properties in a series of emails over the coming days. Please see below for the first installment of 11 of these worthy historic resources.

No one likes a back log – we all agree on that. However, there are more efficient and transparent ways to address the backlog than to simply eliminate it. The wholesale removal of these properties without considering each one’s merits would be a severe blow to the properties and to our landmarks process in general. Each landmark has its own story and the LPC is proposing to wash right over them. A series of public discussions to evaluate each of these 96 properties and sites would be a more considered, fair and transparent approach. By contrast, a radical de-calendaring effort could send an unfortunate message that jeopardizes any future effort to designate them.

Furthermore, the properties and sites that the LPC is proposing to remove from its calendar represent years of research, work and support from New Yorkers, elected officials, community groups and the Commission itself. To broadly reject all of this work out of hand with an administrative action is disrespectful of all that effort and dismissive of the judgment of previous Landmarks Commissioners and staff. If these 96 properties and sites are de-calendared, the Commission will not be notified, and any proposed work or demolition may occur as-of-right.

 

What You Can Do

To voice your opposition to this action, please contact:
LPC Chair, Meenakshi Srinivasan: comments@lpc.nyc.gov
Mayor deBlasio: http://www.nyc.gov/html/static/pages/officeofthemayor/contact.shtml

The Commission will be taking a vote on December 9th to remove these properties from current consideration. As of now, there will NOT be an opportunity for public testimony on this item at the Public Meeting. Please stay tuned for information about a rally at the Municipal Building on the day of the Public Meeting.

 

What “Calendaring” Means

When the LPC receives a Request for Evaluation (and it receives hundreds of requests annually), senior staff and the Commission Chair determine whether the property (or area) meets the criteria for designation. The full Commission reviews such potential landmarks at Public Meetings, where it can vote to schedule a Public Hearing on properties for further review. Thus, an item is put “on the calendar” for a future Public Hearing. Sometimes, properties are not acted upon immediately or even for several years for a variety of reasons, but “calendaring” is a definitive sign that the LPC feels a property merits consideration as a landmark, and can be a very powerful tool in the preservation of significant buildings and districts.

Once a building is put on the LPC’s calendar, the Department of Buildings is notified and the building is tagged as such in the DOB records. If a building owner applies to the DOB for a construction, alteration or demolition permit for a calendared building, the DOB will notify the LPC, which then has 40 days to consider the case and, if necessary, to vote on the building’s designation . In other words, if a building is calendared, LPC has 40 days to act to designate it to prevent the issuance of a Buildings permit.

This procedure has led to such last-minute rescues as the Elkins House, Crown Heights North’s oldest house, at 1375 Dean Street, and the Elwell or Father Divine House, an Italianate villa at 70 Lefferts Place in Clinton Hill, which were both literally saved from demolition permits by lightning-fast designation votes by the LPC in October and December 2006, respectively.

———————————————————————————————————

Coney Island Pumping Station, Brooklyn Coney Island Pumping Station_1

Address: 2301 Neptune Avenue
Architect: Irwin S. Chanin
Constructed: 1938
LPC Action: Calendared 1980; Public Hearing in 1980

Irwin S. Chanin is probably best known for impressive landmarks like the Century and Majestic apartment buildings on Central Park West. In Coney Island, Chanin was able to bring the elegant Art Moderene style to a utilitarian structure. The elliptically shaped fire pumping station is faced in limestone over a granite base and features prismatic glass windows with steel surrounds. Now sadly left abandoned in an overgrown lot, the building once proudly stood in the center of a large grassy plot with symmetrical plantings. Three wide, cement walks still lead up to the pump house from the streets, but the paired statues of horses, symbols of Neptune, have been removed to the Brooklyn Museum of Art.

———————————————————————————————————

St. Barbaras RC Church, Brooklyn 

St. Barbaras RC Church- edit

Address: Central Avenue at Bleecker Street
Architect: Helme & Huberty
Constructed: 1907-1910
LPC Action: Calendared 1980; Public Hearing in 1980

The church is said to be named for Barbara Epping, the wife of local brewer Leopold Epping. The church was designed in the Spanish Baroque style. The elaborate exterior includes a beautiful dome. Noted for its 175-foot high cream-colored spires – which the American Institute of Architects guide to New York has described as “wedding-cake icing: edible”. Inside, the church interior is filled with statuary, carvings, frescoes and more than 25 stained glass windows. The church was built to serve German immigrants, many of whom worked in the breweries in the Bushwick area of Brooklyn. Over the years, the congregation has evolved to serve Italians and now Latin Americans.

———————————————————————————————————

Douglaston Historic District Extension, Queens 39-18 Douglaston Parkway_Douglaston Extension.- smjpg

LPC Action: Calendared: 2008 ; Public Hearing 2008

One group of buildings within the proposed district, the Quaid Family farmhouses, were built and occupied by successive generations of the same family from the mid-19th century into the 20th, marking the transition from large farms to smaller ones. Although they take the form of vernacular farmhouses, they do illustrate some design details of the Greek Revival and Italianate styles. Other homes in the proposed district are from the suburban development of Douglaston built between 1890 and 1930 in the Revival styles for which the area is known and display the same fine details and design that are found in the Douglaston and Douglaston Hill Historic Districts.

The inclusion of Public School 98, built 1930-31, and the 1923-24 Community Church of Douglaston helps round out the story of Douglaston as a community. Both institutions were designed in the Colonial Revival style to harmonize with the architecture of the neighborhood while meeting the educational and spiritual needs of the residents. The 1928-1930 Tudor Revival-style apartment building, with many of the same details of the single-family homes, tells another part of the region’s story, increasing population and the construction of multi-family dwellings between the World Wars.

The proposed Douglaston Historic District Extension was part of the community’s original hope for an historic district. This area, whose architecture and history are equal to that of the existing district, should be equally recognized, protected and preserved.

———————————————————————————————————

Former Loew’s 175th Street Theatre, Manhattan Loew's 175th Street Theater -edit

Address: 175th Street & Broadway
Architect: Thomas W. Lamb
Constructed: 1930
LPC Actions: Calendared 1970; Public Hearing in 1970

The former Loew’s 175th Street Theatre opened its doors to the public in 1930 and, with a capacity of 3,600 seats, was the third largest movie theater in America. The building was the last of the five “Wonder Theatres”, grand, exotically-designed flagship theatres of the Loew’s movie theater empire, to be constructed. The exterior facades feature terra-cotta details in a whimsical combination of Art Deco, Egyptian, Aztec, Mayan, Moorish, and Oriental inspired styles designed by famous theater architect Thomas W. Lamb. Today the theatre is a church and is also rented out for special events.

———————————————————————————————————

Spanish Tower Homes, Queens

Spanish Tower Homes-sm

Address: 34-30 to 34-52 75th Street
Architect: J. Case & Peter Schreiner
Construction: 1927
LPC Action: Calendared 1990; Public Hearing 2010

The Spanish Tower Homes include 10 three- and four-story detached tan brick houses. The first floors of these dwellings have no windows and instead feature French doors that open on to wrought-iron balconettes. Some windows on upper floors have original wood shutters, and the corner houses feature fourth-floor loggias. These houses have shared driveways with detached garages in the rear. The Historic Districts Council has long felt these buildings were worthy of designation, both individually or as an extension to the existing Jackson Heights Historic District. HDC named Jackson Heights as one of our Six to Celebrate neighborhoods in 2011.

———————————————————————————————————

92 Harrison Street, Staten Island

12-92 Harrison Street

Address: 92 Harrison Street
Architect: unknown
Construction: ca. 1840
LPC Action: Calendared 1980

Thought to be the oldest on the street, this house was built for Susan M. Tompkins Smith, the daughter of Daniel D. Tompkins, the fourth governor of New York and the Vice President of the United States under James Monroe (1817-25). Ms. Smith grew up on Staten Island. Her brother Minthorne Tompkins and his partner William J. Staples, were instrumental in developing Stapleton. The stately, three-story clapboard house was designed in the Greek Revival style and is perched on an incline at the western end of the street. It features a graceful doorway, a porch with large columns, windows with louvered shutters and a gable roof with a semi-circular window.

HDC named Harrison Street as one of our Six to Celebrate neighborhoods in 2013. 92 Harrison Street is also part of the proposed Harrison Street Historic District which is currently calendared and had a public hearing in 2013.

———————————————————————————————————

IRT Powerhouse, Manhattan

IRT Powerhouse

Address: West 58th & 59th Streets, 11th & 12th Avenues
Architect: Stanford White
Constructed: 1904
LPC Action: Calendared 1979; Public Hearings in 1979, 1990, 2009

Stanford White was able to design in 1904 what today seems like a minor miracle – a utilitarian structure that was highly elegant and ornate. It was all in a day’s work though for White and other City Beautiful proponents who believed that public improvements should be built to create a city that was both functional and beautiful. This monumental structure is a remarkable example of Beaux-Arts design applied to a utilitarian building. In addition to its architectural significance, the building holds an important place in industrial history. When it opened it was the largest powerhouse in the world and provided the energy needed to run the subway which in turn created the modern city of New York.

———————————————————————————————————

5466 Arthur Kill Road House, Staten Island

5466 Arthur Kill Road House

Address: 5466 Arthur Kill Road
Architect: unknown
Constructed: mid-19th century
LPC Action: Calendared 2007; Public Hearing 2007

The Reuben and Mary Wood House, with its symmetrically planned center hall and side gabled roof fronted by a cross gable, is an example of a once-common, now rare mid-19th century rural house type. Its details feature an unusual mix of Greek Revival, Gothic and Italianate styles. The highly intact clapboard covered house retains all of its historic details including window lintels and sills, shutters, door surround and brick chimney.

———————————————————————————————————

65 Schofield Street aka 240 William Avenue, Bronx

65 Schofiled House-flickr-no rights to use

Address:65 Schofield Street
Architect: unknown
Constructed: mid-19th century
LPC Action: Calendared 2009; Public Hearing 2010

City Island is an area of New York City that truly stands out as unusual, a small maritime community that has been embraced but not engulfed by the urban sprawl of the larger city. As noted in the AIA Guide to New York City, 4th Edition, “on the streets that run perpendicular to the fishbone spine of City Island Avenue are more than a handful of distinguished older houses…65 Schofield Street, serene and peeling, seems a candidate for a Hopper painting: austere, venerable, self-confident.” This building is a remarkable example of Italianate farmhouse design, characterized by a square plan, tall windows, flat roof with an overhanging cornice and elaborate brackets. The building’s most striking feature is the one-story porch which runs across the width of the building. Fantastically, the main body of the house is still clad in its original wood clapboard, which, admittedly, is in desperate need of repair, but serves to evoke a sense of architectural antiquity in a way much more common to small New England towns than The Bronx. Aside from its obvious architectural excellence, research has uncovered direct connections between this building and the Pell and Schofield families, prominent families who were deeply involved with the development of City Island. This building is, frankly, an obvious landmark on all counts and should be protected in order to maintain its integrity as a visible, prominent link to City Island’s past.

———————————————————————————————————

St. Michael’s Episcopal Church Complex, Manhattan

St. Michael's Episcopal Church Complex

Address: 227 West 99th Street
Architect: Robert W. Gibson
Construction: 1891
LPC Action: Calendared 1980

The current church building designed by architect Robert W. Gibson and was dedicated on December 16, 1891. It is made of Indiana limestone in the Northern Italian Renaissance or Romanesque-Byzantine style. The church features decorations by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company.

The Parish House of the same style was designed by architects Charles Merry and Robert W. Gibson and completed in 1902. This building was designed for community service and originally contained facilities for a school, laundry and kitchen.

———————————————————————————————————

Brougham Cottage, Staten Island

Brougham Cottage

Address:4745 Amboy Road
Architect: unknown
Constructed: early 18th century
LPC Action: Calendared 2000 ; Public Hearing 2000

The cottage is a living testament to the changing character of Staten Island. The most distinctive feature of its original one-story section, dating from the early part of the 18th century, is the substantial stone chimney that recalls the Island’s rural quality. Eventually, when development began in earnest, the house was used as an office to sell land for a housing development. Now located in a park and managed by the Historic House Trust, it is deserving of landmark status for its long history, as well as its rustic charm.
Stay Connected

 

Category: Blog, E-bulletin · Tags:

Taming Manhattan: An Illustrated Book Talk

Posted by on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

jacket - Taming Manhattan

Taming Manhattan: Environmental Battles in the Antebellum City

An Illustrated Book Talk

 

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Updated Time!   6:30 PM

 

Updated Location!

Silver Center at New York University

100 Washington Square East, Room 300

(Entrance on Waverly Place)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Join former HDC staffer and Portland State University Professor Catherine McNeur as she discusses her recently published book Taming Manhattan: Environmental Battles in the Antebellum City.

Taming Manhattan details the environmental history of the city in the years before and during the Civil War, when pigs roamed the streets and cows foraged in the Battery. As city blocks encroached on farmland and undeveloped space to accommodate an exploding population, prosperous New Yorkers and their poorer neighbors developed very different ideas about what the city environment should contain. This presentation will focus on nineteenth-century New York City’s long forgotten shantytowns, the people living in the communities, and how outsiders viewed the architecture and communities developing on the metropolitan periphery.

This program is free, but reservations are required as space is limited.

To RSVP please contact Michelle Arbulu at marbulu@hdc.org or 212-614-9107.

 

This program is being co-sponsored by the NYU Department of Art History, Urban Design and Architecture Studies

 

 

 

Category: Program & Events · Tags: ,

Proposed December 9, 2014 De-calendaring Items- Postponed

Posted by on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 · 1 Comment 

Update: 

HDC is thrilled to announce that the New York City  Landmarks Preservation Commission will not be holding a hearing to remove 96 sites from landmark consideration on Tuesday, December 9. We’ve said plenty of times – nobody likes a backlog. HDC is committed to working with LPC to remedy this situation in a transparent, appropriate and equitable way.

THANK YOU everyone who made their voices heard. This belongs to all of you.

For more information, see  The New York Times article by Matt A.V. Chaban, “Landmarks Panel Drops Proposal to Trim List“.

———————————————————————————————————

Click on the titles for more information about each site

de-calendar Bronx

6 Ploughmans Bush Building-edit 1. 6 Ploughman’s Bush Building  Bronx, NY, 10471

 

 

65 Schofiled House-flickr-no rights to use2. 65 Schofield Street aka 240 William Avenue Bronx, NY 10464

 

 

Immaculate Conception RC Church Complex-edit3. Immaculate Conception Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Convent, & Priests’ Residence

 

 

First Presbyterian Church of Williamsburg_2-edit4.  First Presbyterian Church of Williamsbridge & Rectory

 

 

5. Samuel Babcock House

de-calendar Brooklyn

 

183-195 Broadway Building1. 183-195 Broadway Building

 

 

Coney Island Pumping Station_12. Coney Island Pumping Station

 

greenwood3. Greenwood Cemetery

 

Holy Trinity Cathedral_Ukranian Church in Exile-edit4. Holy Trinity Cathedral/Ukranian Church in Exile

 

 

Lady Moody's House5. Lady Moody-Van Sicklen House

 

 

St. Augustines RC Church (2)-edit6. St. Augustine’s R.C. Church and Rectory

 

 

St. Barbaras RC Church7. St. Barbara’s R.C. Church

 

 

de-calendar manhattan

 

2 Oliver Street1. 2 Oliver Street House

 

 

57 Sullivan Street2. 57 Sullivan Street House

 

 

3. 138 Second Avenue House

143 Chambers Street 14. 143 Chambers Street

 

 

150 East 38th Street5. 150 East 38th Street House

 

 

315 Broadway-16. 315 Broadway

 

 

7. 412 East 85th Street House

8. Bergdorf Goodman

9. Broadway Theaters

10. Excelsior Power Company Building

11. Hotel Renaissance/Columbia Club

 

IRT Powerhouse12. IRT Powerhouse

 

 

13. James McCreery & Co.

Kaufmann14. Kaufman Conference Rooms Interior

 

 

Loew's 175th Street Theater -edit15. Loew’s 175th Street Theater

 

 

16. Mission of the Immaculate Virgin

 17. Osborne Apartments Interior

 

CAA-house18. President Chester A. Arthur House

 

 

19. Sire Building

Church of St. Joseph 401 West 125th Street20. St. Joseph’s Church

 

 

St. Michael's Episcopal Church Complex21. St. Michael’s Episcopal Church Complex

 

 

 

22. St. Paul’s Church & School

St. Pauls Rectory 117th Street23. St. Paul’s Rectory

 

 

24.Union Square Park

 

Harlem YMCA Jackie Robinson Youth Center 125. YMCA, Harlem Branch

 

 

Yuengling Brewing Complex26. Yuengling Brewery Complex (6 items)

 

 

 

de-calendar queens

Ahles House1. Lydia Ann Bell and William J Ahles House

 

 

Bowne Street Community Church2. Bowne Street Community Church

 

 

39-18 Douglaston Parkway_Douglaston Extension.- smjpg3. Douglaston Historic District Extension

 

Fairway Hall 34. Fairway Apartments

 

 

First Reformed Church of College Point (2)-edit5. First Reformed Church and Sunday School of College Point

 

 

Old Calvary Cem Gatehouse6. Old Calvary Cemetery Gatehouse

 

 

Pepsi Cola Sign7. Pepsi-Cola Sign

 

 

Spanish Tower Homes-sm8. Spanish Towers (10 Items)

 

 

 

de-calendar si

 

12-92 Harrison Street1. 92 Harrison Street House

 

 

122 Androvette Street House2. 122 Androvette Street House

 

 

3833 Amboy Road House3. 3833 Amboy Road House

 

 

5466 Arthur Kill Road House4. 5466 Arthur Kill Road House

 

 

5. 6136 Amboy Road House

 

Brougham Cottage6. Brougham Cottage

 

 

Crocheron House7. Crocheron House

 

 

8. Cunard Hall, Wagner College

CurtisHouseLarge9. Curtis House

 

 

10. Dorothy Day Historic Site

11. Fountain Family Graveyard

garner mansion12. Garner Mansion

 

 

Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House13.  Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House

 

 

14. Muller House

15. Nicholas Killmeyer Store and Residence

 

photo 4 (3)16. Princess Bay Lighthouse and Keeper’s House

 

 

17.Richmond County Country Club

Sailors Snug Harbor18. Sailors’ Snug Harbor Historic District

 

 

19. School District No. 3 Building

 20. St. John’s P.E. Rectory

St. Mary's Church, Rectory and Parish Hall21. St. Mary’s Church, Rectory and Parish Hall

 

 

St. Mary's R.C.Church and Rectory22. St. Mary’s R.C.Church and Rectory

 

 

23. St. Paul’s M.E. Church

24. Sunny Brae House

 

Vanderbilt Mausoleum Moravian Cemetery25. Vanderbilt Mausoleum Moravian Cemetery

 

 

26. Woodbrook/Goodhuse House

 

Category: Blog, Brooklyn, Featured, Historic House, landmarks law, Landmarks Preservation Commission, Special Blog · Tags:

HDC@LPC – December 2, 2014

Posted by on Monday, December 1, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

Item 2

6 South Oxford Street – Fort Greene Historic District

16-3536 – Block 2100, Lot 41, Zoned R6B

Community District 2, Brooklyn

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

An Italianate style house built in 1864. Application is to replace and enlarge windows.

6 S Oxford St (4) cropped 6 S Oxford St (5) cropped

HDC feels that this is a lot of demolition proposed for an intact, 1864 house. The rear of this house also faces a thoroughfare, whose view is very much part of the neighborhood atmosphere. HDC asks the Commission to work with the applicant to determine a less ostentatious configuration for the rear of this house.

LPC Determination: No Action

 

Item 5

126-134 East 78th Street – Upper East Side Historic District

16-4381 – Block 1412, Lot 58, Zoned C1-8X, R8B

Community District 8, Manhattan

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

A neo-Federal style school building designed by James W. O’Connor and built in 1923-24, and a pair of Italianate style residences built c. 1866. Application is to construct rooftop and rear yard additions.

126-134 E 78 (5) cropped

 HDC finds this institutional expansion too much for a low-scale block in a historic district. The vertical masonry addition does not set back and appears heavy and foreboding. As schools inevitably continue to grow, lopping on bulk at the expense of the neighborhood and district is not a sustainable solution.

LPC Determination: No Action

 

Item 8

807 Park Avenue – Upper East Side Historic District

15-7491– Block 1409, Lot 72, Zoned CB8

Community District 8, Manhattan

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

An altered apartment building, originally built as a Romanesque Revival/neoRenaissancestyle residence designed by Neville & Bagge in 1898-99, and enlarged in the 1980s. Application is to demolish the building and construct a new building.

807 Park (3) cropped 807 Park (4) cropped

Prior to 1872, Fourth Avenue was dominated by locomotives, which eclipsed residential development uptown. 807 Park is one of six surviving buildings resulting from the 1872 Fourth Avenue Improvement Scheme, which buried the New York Central Railroad tracks beneath the avenue and therefore spurred real estate development in the form of rowhouses, tenements and flats. This pre-Park Avenue survivor has both charm and height, as it sits twelve stories high. The applicant offers to create a brand-new thirteen story building. HDC asks that the applicant consider designing a 13th floor rooftop addition to attain their desired bulk, as opposed to demolishing one of the oldest contributing buildings in a historic district.

LPC Determination: No Action/No Quorom

 

Item 9

James Bogardus Triangle – Tribeca West Historic District

16-3713 – Block777, Lot 77, Zoned C6-3A

Community District 1, Manhattan

BINDING REPORT

A pedestrian plaza created c. 1920. Application is to install paving and street furniture.

Bogardus Triangle (3) croppedBogardus Triangle (4) cropped

The space allotted for the Bogardus Triangle was first created by the confluence of four streets, and later in 1920 the triangle was constructed as an island to regulate traffic, possibly in conjunction with construction work on both West Broadway and Hudson Street. The current proposal seems to erase the legibility of Hudson Street from the triangle, and HDC asks that a new design be submitted that recalls the history of why this island exists.

LPC Determination: No Action/No Quorom

 

Item 10

37 West 12th Street – Greenwich Village Historic District

16-1326 -Block 576, Lot 25, Zoned C6-2R6

Community District 2, Manhattan

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

A Modern style apartment building designed by Mayer, Whittlesey, and Glass, and built in 1959. Application is to establish a Master Plan governing the future installation of windows.

37 W 12 (3) cropped 37 W 12 (2) cropped

In its designation, Butterfield House was described as “a good example of urban harmony.” HDC applauds this application, which harmonizes operation with aesthetic. The Committee and the Commission constantly review proposals in which the “homework” is done to prove that historic window alterations cannot be done sensitively. This applicant did their homework to find a solution, and a creative alternative is achieved.

LPC Determination: No Action/No Quorom

 

Item 12

20 Union Square East – Union Square Savings Bank – Individual Landmark

13-5401– Block 871, Lot 1, Zoned C6-2A, C6-4

Community District 5, Manhattan

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

An Academic Classic style bank building designed by Henry Bacon and built in 1905-07. Application is to install banners and rigging system.

20 USQ East cropped

The Union Square Savings Bank’s designation is described as possessing the “Beaux Arts clarity of function and structure.” The proposed banners are clunky in appearance and muddle the clarity of this classical form. The Committee understands the need to advertise within the buzz of Union Square, but this is too much.

In addition, HDC remains concerned about the extreme visibility of the cornice apparatus that provides the nighttime floodlighting for this building. The real-life impact of this lighting is at odds with the original proposal and adds to the distracting display on this structure.

LPC Determination: No Action/No Quorom

Category: E-bulletin, HDC@LPC, LPC · Tags:

Landmarks Commission to remove 96 sites from consideration

Posted by on Friday, November 28, 2014 · 1 Comment 

The Landmarks Preservation Commission is proposing to remove 96 sites and properties from consideration for landmark designation at a public meeting on Tuesday, December 9th.  Most of these sites have been under consideration for several years. LPC has stated to us that their reasoning for removing these properties from consideration is political in nature – that the agency feels it does not have the political backing to advance landmark designation for these sites at this time.  LPC has said that these removals will be “without prejudice”, i.e. it is not that these sites are not worthy of LPC designation and protection, it’s that the agency feels it is too weak to act.

Maps with each propertie can be found here  http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/html/map/AllBoroughs_2014.pdf

This proposed wholesale rejection of  prior LPC determinations is bad public policy and  damaging to the integrity and independence of the Landmarks Law.  HDC will be organizing a broad community response to this proposal.

For the full list of properties being de-calendared click here 

Several articles have come out recently about the proposed de-calendaring - The New York Times, DNAinfo, Gothamist, The New York Post, CBS News

More details to come.

Category: Alert, Blog, de-designation, Designation, HDC@LPC, landmarks law, Landmarks Preservation Commission · Tags:

HDC@LPC – November 25, 2014

Posted by on Monday, November 24, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

Item 1

LP – 2567

BOROUGH OF BROOKLYN

CHESTER COURT HISTORIC DISTRICT, 15-31 Chester Court and 16-32 Chester Court

Chester Court-google grab

The Historic Districts Council is pleased to support the designation of the 18 rowhouses comprising Chester Court, located in the Prospect Lefferts Gardens neighborhood of Brooklyn. Roughly two years ago, residents on the block reached out to HDC for help in advocating for the preservation of this charming nook, not only because of its architectural merit, but also to protect it from development pressures in its immediate vicinity. We are delighted that Chester Court is today being considered as New York City’s newest historic district, and urge the Landmarks Preservation Commission to vote in favor of its designation.

Chester Court’s strong architectural cohesion is a characteristic it shares with its nearby neighbors, the Prospect Lefferts Gardens Historic District and the Ocean on the Park Historic District. In fact, we understand that the Court was once considered for inclusion in the Prospect Lefferts Gardens Historic District, but for reasons lost to time, was not designated. Its two-and-a-half story, single-family rowhouses were designed by Peter J. Collins, a prolific local architect and the Brooklyn Commissioner of Buildings. Constructed in 1914-15, these charming neo-Tudor houses are unified through their massing, materials and design. They feature brick bases and Mediterranean-style tile roofs, which encase their half-timbered second story oriels and gables at the crown. Details alternate from house to house, with flat oriels and round-arch entrances on some and three-sided oriels and square entrances on others, as well as varied patterns and colors of half-timbering. Chester Court’s development history is closely connected with that of the broader Prospect Lefferts Gardens, including the neighboring historic districts, which renders it even more significant as an integral part of the area’s story.

 

Item 6

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

161314- Block 825, lot 12-

30-32 West 24th Street – Ladies’ Mile Historic District

A neo-Gothic style store and loft building designed by Browne & Almiroty and built in 1910-11. Application is to install storefront infill and light fixtures.

30 W 24_l

Overall, HDC feels that the new storefront should respond in color and rhythm to the historic architecture above it. We applaud the choice of steel for the storefront, but feel that the material’s potential is not being reached; its application appearing more like extruded aluminum. Finally, we suggest that the applicant study other loft buildings’ light fixtures in the district and supply something less “off of the shelf” to embellish this building appropriately.

LPC determination: No Action

 

Item 7

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

163399- Block 857, lot 76-

245 Fifth Avenue – Madison Square North Historic District

A neo-Gothic style store and loft building designed by George F. Pelham and built in 1926-27. Application is to replace entrance infill and modify a masonry opening.

245 Fifth Ave-2-cropped

HDC finds the change to the East 28th Street entrance to be very sensitive, but would prefer to see something more contextual on the Fifth Avenue side. The proposed entrance bay appears quite stark in its glassy and grey color palette, in contrast to the black framing on the other bays of the building’s base. A consistent color scheme across the base would be more appropriate.

LPC determination: Approved

 

Item 8

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

163899- Block 872, lot 78-

44-48 Union Square East – Individual Landmark

A neo-Georgian style building, designed by Thompson, Holmes & Converse and Charles B. Meyers, built in 1928-1929. Application is to construct a rooftop addition, install new storefront infill, signage, and windows openings.

Tammany-4-small

After a decades-long effort by preservation advocates, Tammany Hall was finally designated an Individual Landmark in 2013. HDC finds the proposal before the Commission today to be gratuitous both for the lack of an apparent functional justification for the addition, and for the extremity of this stylistic gesture, which is a major departure from the building’s architectural language.

First and foremost, HDC finds the destruction of the building’s hipped slate roof to be problematic. This feature was an intentional design component that references Georgian architecture and harkens back to New York City’s early civic buildings, such as Federal Hall on Wall Street. The hipped roof complements the façades on both Union Square East and East 17th Street, and is quite tall and prominent from many angles and vantage points, especially given the building’s visibility at the corner of Union Square. The roof is also prominent in historic photos, including the one in the building’s Designation Report.

If the interior program for Tammany Hall necessitates the expansion of the building, there is room to build without completely altering its character and appearance. The hipped roof and a small part of the top floor form a screen around an open court at the center of the building, which is visible in the applicants’ aerial images of the existing roof. The flat roof at that depressed area is one full story below the top of the hipped roof. Conceivably, one could fill that in with no impact on the appearance from the street. Any proposed expansion should take such options into account, rather than using the building as a base for a shiny new structure. HDC asks that Tammany Hall be respected, not overwhelmed.

Concerning the base, HDC is happy to see the removal of the present unsympathetic signage, but asks that the applicant consider returning the building to its original rhythm of three window bays flanking the central entrance, as well as restoring the masonry piers.

LPC determination: No Action

 

Item 9

CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS

BOROUGH OF Manhattan

158191- Block 994, lot 7502-

1466 Broadway – Knickerbocker Hotel – Individual Landmark

A Beaux Arts style hotel designed by Marvin and Davis with Bruce Price built in 1906, and altered by Charles A. Platt in 1920-1921, with a Romanesque Revival style annex designed by Philip C. Brown and built in 1894. Application is to modify a master plan governing the future installation of signage.

1466 Bway-1-cropped

 

1466 Bway-2-cropped

HDC finds that the approved Master Plan for signage is far more sensitive to the Beaux Arts Knickerbocker Hotel than the proposed signage plan. The larger signs and brash LED lighting detract from the elegance of the building’s base, and the current Master Plan offers plenty of exposure for commercial tenants.

LPC determination: Approved

 

Category: HDC@LPC · Tags: , , , , ,

E-bulletin 11.24.2014

Posted by on Monday, November 24, 2014 · Leave a Comment 

   E-BULLETIN OF THE HISTORIC DISTRICTS COUNCIL

November 2014, Volume 11, Number 4

In This Issue:

———————————————————————————————————

Taming Manhattan: An Illustrated Book Talk

jacket - Taming Manhattan

TOMORROW NIGHT!

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 

6:30 PM

Silver Center at New York University

100 Washington Square East, Room 300

(Entrance on Waverly Place)

Join former HDC staffer and Portland State University Professor Catherine McNeur as she discusses her recently published book Taming Manhattan: Environmental Battles in the Antebellum City.

Taming Manhattan details the environmental history of the city in the years before and during the Civil War, when pigs roamed the streets and cows foraged in the Battery. As city blocks encroached on farmland and undeveloped space to accommodate an exploding population, prosperous New Yorkers and their poorer neighbors developed very different ideas about what the city environment should contain. This presentation will focus on nineteenth-century New York City’s long forgotten shantytowns, the people living in the communities, and how outsiders viewed the architecture and communities developing on the metropolitan periphery.

 

This program is free, but reservations are required as space is limited.

To RSVP e-mail Michelle Arbulu marbulu@hdc.org or call 212-614-9107

http://hdc.org/featured/taming-manhattan-illustrated-book-talk 

———————————————————————————————————

STC-AA-logos

Atlantic Avenue Family Scavenger Hunt: I Found It on Atlantic! 

Atlantic avenueCome do the beautifully-designed and fun Atlantic Avenue Family Scavenger Hunt on Small Business Saturday, Nov 29, starting at 10am.

We’ve designed a multi-stop architectural treasure hunt that will teach you about buildings and history throughout the historic Atlantic Avenue district. The Moxie Spot, 81 Atlantic Avenue is the kick-off location for the hunt that takes you all the way down the Avenue! Whoever figures out the most clues by 12pm wins!

While you’re here, take advantage of the many Small Business Saturday offers available, including up to $30 in rebates for AmEx card

holders: https://offerenroll.americanexpress.com/enroll/EnrollmentSitePage?offer=SMALLBUSINESSSATURDAY2014

 

To register for this event click here  

———————————————————————————————————

STC_Logo_Web

Six to Celebrate 2015 Applications 

Deadline for the application is December 1, 2014, and the Six to Celebrate will be announced in early 2015.

 

The purpose of this program is to provide strategic resources to neighborhood groups at a critical moment so that they can reach their preservation goals.  The program will help community activists learn to use tools such as documentation, research, zoning, landmarking, publicity, and public outreach to advance local preservation campaigns.  The selected groups will receive HDC’s hands-on help strategizing and implementing all aspects of their efforts over the course of the 2014 calendar year, as well as our continued support in the years to come.

Since beginning this program in 2011, HDC has been able to help Six to Celebrate  groups create two new National Register districts (the Bowery and Far Rockaway Bungalows) and two New York City historic districts (Bedford Stuyvesant and the East Village) with many others still in the works in all five boroughs (Bedford, Gowanus, Harrison Street, Port Morris, and Van Cortland Village).  We have also assisted in leveraging more than $40,000 in private and public grants for these community-driven projects. Neighborhoods selected also get professionally-designed websites and illustrated walking tour brochures.

 

Click here to download the application

 

Please mail the application along with all requested supplemental materials.

 

SEND TO:
Six to Celebrate
Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, New York 10003

 

If you have any questions call 212-614-9107 or e-mail Barbara Zay

bzay@hdc.org

Category: Blog, E-bulletin, Program & Events, Six to Celebrate · Tags: , , ,

Thanks for Visiting

The Historic Districts Council is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York NY 10003
tel: 212-614-9107
fax: 212-614-9127
email: hdc@hdc.org

Donate To HDC

Become a Friend of HDC! Consider donating to support our efforts.

Follow Us