Carnegie Library:Fordham Branch Library-Photos

2556 Bainbridge Avenue

Bronx, New York 10548

Block: 3286, Lot: 14

Year built: 1923

Architect(s): McKim, Mead & White

Builder(s): William L. Crow Construction Company

The Fordham Branch of the New York Public Library was in operation since opening in 1923 until 2005. It is situated on an L-shaped lot between Bainsbridge Avenue, Marion Avenue, East Fordham Road and East 193rd Street in the Bronx. Like many other Carnegie branch libraries, it is classically inspired with Georgian decorative details. After an expansion in 1955, it became the largest library in the Bronx and remained so until its closing.

•To read more about the Fordham Branch click here

•To see a complete list of each Bronx Carnegie Library click here 

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127
E-mail: hdc@hdc.org

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.