Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries: Bedford Branch-Photos
BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY, BEDFORD BRANCH
496 Franklin Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11238
Year(s) built: 1904-5
Year opened: 1905
Architect(s): Lord & Hewlett
Builder(s): Robert J. Mahoney, General Contractor
Status: Library, no designation
The Bedford Library was the first branch of the Brooklyn Public Library system, which opened in 1897 within the old P.S. 3 on Bedford Avenue. After moving to 26 Brevoort Place in 1899 and Avon Hall in 1902, the library finally had its own building in 1905.
The freestanding library is situated in a small plot of land that is located mid-block, adjacent to a vacant lot. An historic wrought iron fence surrounds the property. An original stoop with multiple steps and restored period lamp posts is placed in front of the doorway. Small lawns are on either side of the stoop. On the building’s right side is a courtyard made of brick and stone, leading to a wheelchair entrance. The two-story, three-bay rectangular building has a façade constructed of brick and stone with a sloped metal and asphalt roof.