Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries: DeKalb Branch-Photos

BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY, DEKALB BRANCH

790 Bushwick Avenue (aka 1176 DeKalb Avenue)

Brooklyn, NY 11221

Year(s) built: 1904-5

Year opened: 1905

Architect(s): William B. Tubby

Builder(s): F.J. Kelly’s Sons

Status: Library, New York City individual landmark

In 1901, Andrew Carnegie signed a contract guaranteeing the erection of new public libraries in Brooklyn. The Carnegie Library DeKalb Branch was completed in 1905 and is a New York City individual landmark and continues to operate as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library.

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127
E-mail: hdc@hdc.org

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.