The Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries:Flatbush Branch-Photos
BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY, FLATBUSH BRANCH
22 Linden Boulevard
Brooklyn, NY 11226
Block: 5086 Lot: 15
Year(s) built: 1905
Year opened: 1905
Architect(s): R.L. Daus, renovated by Jack C. Street and John R. Petter
Builder(s): John Thatcher & Son
Status: Library, no designation
The Carnegie Library Flatbush Branch opened on October 7, 1905, in the Classical Revival style. It was altered in 1937 with the use of WPA funds.
The original two-story, three-bay Classical Revival library was completely altered to the WPA Moderne style in 1937 with flanking one-story wings added. The building is light brick with stone trim and features a one-story projecting entrance. Ornamental details in the window spandrel and door trim all express the simple, flat design of the Moderne style. The building underwent more rehabilitations and repairs in 1953, 1957, 1966-69 and 1978.
1905 elements remain including round plaster columns and balcony above the first floor, wooden stairs with turned balusters, and a second floor with original oak sliding doors, woodwork and stacks. The marble and nickel steel vestibule from the 1930’s has also been retained.