Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries:Fort Hamilton Branch Pictures
BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY, FORT HAMILTON
1044 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11213
Year(s) Built: 1914
The Fort Hamilton Branch was built in 1907, and was designed by Lord & Hewlett, Architects. The branch continues to function as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. In 1912 the chimney’s height was increased to improve the draught. In 1965, the original window mullions were removed and new windows and doors were installed. The ceiling was lowered, the historic bronze chandelier and modillioned cornice were removed, the skylight was filled in, and fluorescent lighting fixtures were most likely added in the 1960s as well. In 1975, the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and mechanical systems received an upgrade. The present lawn and simple iron fence were added in 1996. The original rear wall contained a row of at least nine narrow windows to provide additional lighting to the interior, all of which were subsequently filled in.
Beginning in March 2008, the building underwent a complete interior and exterior renovation and expansion. Improved features included new tripartite window mullions that recall the original pattern more than the 1965 remodeling, and a new fiberglass cornice. AC units were installed on the new roof extension. New sheetrock walls, a ceiling grid, and a new HVAC duct system were all installed. The interior received new walls, period-inspired furniture and lights, and a period-inspired vestibule. There are new sections of the library that adjoin the rear (west) and north walls.
Fort Hamilton Branch, interior, vestibule, 2011 (Brooklyn Public Library: http://www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/branch_library_renovations.jsp?branchpageid=170)
Fort Hamilton Branch, interior, fireplace, 2011 (Brooklyn Public Library: http://www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/branch_library_renovations.jsp?branchpageid=170)
Fort Hamilton Branch, interior, side and rear walls, 2011 (Brooklyn Public Library: http://www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/branch_library_renovations.jsp?branchpageid=170)