Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries:Leonard Branch-Photos

Leonard Branch-Photos

81 Devoe Street

Brooklyn, NY 11211

Year(s) built: 1908

Year opened: 1908

Architect(s): William B. Tubby

The branch officially opened on December 1, 1908.  The interior was decorated with a molded plaster ceiling, skylights, wood panels, and carved wooden window borders.  Lighting fixtures in groups of three lamps were suspended from the ceiling.  Since completion, the historic front steps were changed, the windows and entrance door were replaced, and the glass transom was filled in.  After the ceiling was dropped, the molded ceiling and skylights were no longer visible.  Additionally, the wood panelling is not visible.  The original lighting fixtures were replaced with modern fluorescents, and a new vestibule was installed.  A new roof and interior trim were constructed during a rehabilitation in the 1950s.  Subsequent renovations occurred in 1966-69, 1978, and in 1980 when the roof was replaced again.  Recently, a glass transom recalling the original was installed.  The Leonard Branch continues to serve as a division of the Brooklyn Public Library.[iii]

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127
E-mail: hdc@hdc.org

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.