Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries:Macon Branch- Photos
Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries: Macon Branch- Photos
361 Lewis Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11233
Year(s) built: 1907
Year opened: 1907
Architect(s): Richard A. Walker/Walker & Morris
Builder(s): Daniel Ryan
Status: Library, no designation
The Brooklyn Carnegie Library Macon Branch was completed in 1907 by Architect Richard A. Walker of Walker & Morris in the Classical Revival style.
The Macon Branch continues to operate as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. The main door and windows have since been replaced, and the asphalt roof is most likely a non-historic material. Significant alterations took place in 1948-9. From 1973 to 1977 new fluorescent lighting was installed, the heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems were updated, and a new auditorium was constructed.
From 2006 to 2008, a major restoration project undertaken by Sen Architects recreated many aspects of the Macon Branch’s original aesthetic. The HVAC systems were upgraded once more in order to be less intrusive to the interior than the 1970s renovation. New lighting systems that replicated the library’s original lamps replaced the grid of suspended fluorescent bulbs, resulting in a significantly more open space.
Additionally, Sen Architects was responsible for the Macon Branch’s newest wing: the African American Heritage Center, which includes replicated period wood carvings. The section contains material on African, Caribbean and African American history and culture. The Macon Branch also includes a section called “Preserving Footsteps,” a collection of books on the history, famous landmarks and current state of Bedford-Stuyvesant.[ii]