Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries:Pacific Branch- Photos

 

BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY, PACIFIC BRANCH

 

25 4th Avenue

New York, NY 11217

Year(s) built: 1903

Year opened: 1903

Architect(s): Raymond F. Almirall

Builder(s): Church Construction Company

Status:  Library, no designation

The Pacific Branch was the first Carnegie library constructed in Brooklyn, it opened in 1903 and continues to serve as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. After the building experienced damage as a result of subway construction in 1914 and a fire in 1917, Raymond Almirall was hired to restore it.  The original cornice on the library’s rear wall was stripped away in 1951.  The building suffered another fire in 1973 and was slated for demolition.  However, the residents of Boerum Hill saved the Pacific Branch, and it was repaired by 1975.  Although the front door, windows, entrance staircase and lanterns are non-historic, they are not recent.  The 1939 WPA mural series above the attached bookcases is no longer extant.

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127
E-mail: hdc@hdc.org

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.