Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries:Park Slope Branch-Photos
BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY, PARK SLOPE BRANCH
431 Sixth Avenue (aka 427-441 Sixth Avenue)
Brooklyn, NY 11215
Year(s) built: 1905-6
Year opened: 1906
Architect(s): Raymond F. Almirall
Builder(s): Church Construction Company
Status: Library, New York City individual landmark
The Carnegie Library Park Slope Branch was completed in 1906; is a NYC individual landmark and continues to operate as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library.
The exceptionally ornate interior is largely intact. The entrance vestibule has a mosaic floor with red, green, and yellow tesserae arranged in geometric patterns against a white background, which is then bordered by black tesserae. In the entrance to each of the main reading rooms are two wooden Doric columns in antis, which are attached to two wooden piers. The piers support a wooden Doric frieze, upon which rests an arched stained glass window. The yellow glass is then divided by two carved wooden scrolls that are parallel to the columns.
In the reading rooms, wooden wainscoting extends from the floor to the height of the windows. At the end of each room is a tiled fireplace. One (with turquoise tiles) is framed by a pair of wooden Doric columns and a wooden Doric frieze, while the other (with ochre tiles) is bordered by wooden Corinthian piers and consoles that support a wooden entablature with a dentilated cornice. There are vaulted stained glass ceilings in the vestibule and the mezzanine. An additional fireplace with yellow tiles and two sets of paired, engaged wooden pilasters.