The Brooklyn Carnegie Library: Williamsburgh Branch Photos




240 Division Avenue, aka 226-246 Division Avenue, 197-213 Marcy Avenue, and 241-251 Rodney Street

Brooklyn, NY 11211

Number of floors: 2

Building Area: 10,000 sq ft (estimated)

Year(s) built: 1903-1905

Year opened: 1905

Architect(s): Richard A. Walker

Builder(s): Remington Construction Company

Status: Library, New York City individual landmark

The Brooklyn Carnegie Library Williamsburgh Branch was completed in 1905. It is a NYC individual landmark and continues to operate as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library

At the time of its construction, the Williamsburgh Branch was the largest of the New York City Carnegie libraries.  It is also considered the first Brooklyn Carnegie, as its cornerstone was laid in 1903.  The branch has several characteristics of the suburban Carnegie library type.  Located mostly in the less densely populated areas of the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens, these branches are most often freestanding structures within a larger lot (most often they are surrounded by a lawn).  Frequently, the libraries feature red brick walls accented with a minimum of limestone ornamentation.  Most often built in a Classical Revival style, the buildings have a symmetrical layout, tall, large windows to allow an abundance of light into the reading rooms, and a prominent, decorative entrance.

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.