Brooklyn Landmarks-Brooklyn Academy of Music

 BROOKLYN ACADEMY OF MUSIC

Local architects designed this neighborhood of three- and four-story Italianate row houses between 1885 and 1859. A few rare homes with cast-iron facades were added in the 1870s. In 1908 the Brooklyn Academy of Music, founded in 1861, built its new headquarter designed by Herts & Tallant in the Italian Renaissance Revival style here. The 1929 Williamsburgh Savings Bank with its 512-foot tower is currently the tallest building in Brooklyn. Designated September 26, 1978

Title: Brooklyn Academy of Music Detail 4

Borough: Brooklyn

Historic District: Brooklyn Academy of Music

Keywords: Brooklyn Academy of Music, window, brick

Description: Detail of the Brooklyn Academy of Music

Image #2826

Designation Report

Back To Brooklyn- Landmarks

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127
E-mail: hdc@hdc.org

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.