Brooklyn Landmarks-Fulton Ferry


The architecture of this district illustrates its rise from a village, as seen in early 19th-century Federal homes, to a commercial and industrial center starting in the 1830’s. Possibly the oldest surviving office building in the city, the 1834 Long Island Insurance Company building, is in this district. The Greek-revival Franklin House, a dining saloon and hotel built in 1835, welcomed ferry travelers for over sixty years. The 1869 Long Island Safe Deposit Company building features a handsome Italianate cast-iron façade. The Empire Stores, built the same year, replaced earlier warehouses storing raw products like sugar and coffee for nearby refineries. The opening of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883 and the eventual end to ferry service turned the neighborhood into a backwater, the upside being the well preserved character of this 19th-century village. Designated June 28, 1977.

Title: Looking West on Water Street with the Empire Stores and Brooklyn Bridge 2

Borough: Brooklyn

Historic District: Fulton Ferry

Keywords: Brooklyn Bridge, Empire Stores, warehouse, commercial, brick

Description: West-facing view on Water Street including the Empire Stores and Brookyn Bridge

Image #1691







Designation Report

Back To Brooklyn- Landmarks

To make an appointment to view all images from this historic district, please e-mail or call (212) 614-9107.


About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.