Manhattan Carnegie Libraries- 96th Street Branch- Pictures
New York Public Library 96th Street Branch
112-114 East 96th Street
New York, NY 10128
Year(s) built: 1904-5
Year opened: 1905
Architect(s): Babb, Cook & Willard
Builder(s): Isaac Hopper & Son
Status: Library, no designation
The 96th Street library is located on the south side of East 96th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues. Designed by Babb, Cook & Willard in 1905, the 96th Street Branch was one of eight Carnegie libraries the architectural firm would build.
The 96th Street Branch has several characteristics of the urban Carnegie library type. It has a classically-inspired style (a simplified Beaux-Arts model that was the preferred style for public structures in the early-Twentieth Century), three stories, an arched entrance that is not central, ornamental stone masonry, and tall, large arched windows on the first floor that allow an abundance of light into a relatively simple interior. In 1960, Bloch & Hesse undertook a significant rehabilitation of the building. In 1991, the more than 13,000 square foot interior was restored through Samuel J. De Santo and Associates, architects, who accurately replicated the original period color palette. Since the library’s opening, the front entrance door and windows were replaced, new security grilles were added to the first floor windows, and the stone pillars that were originally positioned on either side of the front steps were subsequently removed.
The 96th Street Branch continues to operate as a branch of the New York Public Library.
Return to 96th Street Branch page:
Return to view the full list of Manhattan Carnegie Libraries: