Manhattan Carnegie Libraries- Hamilton Grange Branch-Pictures
New York Public Library Hamilton Grange Branch
503-505 West 145th Street
New York, NY 10031
Year(s) built: 1905-6
Year opened: 1907
Architect(s): McKim, Mead & White
Builder(s): Michael Reid & Company
Status: Library, New York City individual landmark, listed on State and National Registers of Historic Places
The Hamilton Grange library is located on the north side of West 145th Street between Amsterdam Avenue and Broadway, closer to Amsterdam. Designed by McKim, Mead and White in 1905-6, the Hamilton Grange Branch was one of twelve Carnegie libraries the preeminent architectural firm would build; the last was the 1923 Fordham Branch. It is one of twenty Carnegie branch libraries built in Manhattan and one of sixty-seven throughout the whole city. The builder, Michael Reid & Company, built eight additional branches with McKim, Mead & White.
The Hamilton Grange Branch is a New York City individual landmark listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The building continues to operate as a branch of the New York Public Library. A major rehabilitation in 1975 replaced most of the historic interior.
Return to view the full list of Manhattan Carnegie Libraries: