Manhattan Carnegie Libraries- Harlem Branch-Pictures
New York Public Library Harlem Branch
9-11 West 124th Street
Manhattan, New York
Year built: 1909
Architect(s): McKim, Mead & White
Builder(s): Michael Reid & Company
Designation: Not designated
The Harlem Branch Library sits in the middle of a residential block along the north side of West 124th Street between Fifth and Lenox Avenues (also known as Malcolm X Boulevard) across from Marcus Garvey Park, one of the oldest public squares in Manhattan.
Erected between 1908 and 1909, it is one of twelve branch libraries designed by preeminent architectural firm, McKim, Mead & White, and reflects the Classically inspired aesthetic used for nearly all of their Carnegie libraries. It was constructed by New York builders Michael Reid & Company and is one of nine Carnegie branches to be designed by McKim, Mead & White and built by this construction firm.
The library underwent a series of renovations in the 1930s and then again in the 1950s, during which time the original entrance doors, exterior light fixtures, windows, and roof were replaced. In 2004, as part of the “Adopt-A-Branch” program, the interiors were entirely refurbished. This library is not currently designated.
Return to view the full list of Manhattan Carnegie Libraries: