Manhattan Carnegie Libraries- St. Agnes Branch-Pictures
New York Public Library St. Agnes Branch
444-446 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024
Year(s) built: 1906
Year opened: 1906
Architect(s): Babb, Cook & Willard
Builder(s): Isaac Hopper & Son
Status: Library, falls within the Upper West Side-Central Park West Historic District, designated 1990.
The St. Agnes library is located on the west side of Amsterdam Avenue between West 81st and 82nd Streets, and is set up against the sidewalk. Built in 1906 by Babb, Cook & Willard, the St. Agnes Branch was one of seven Carnegie libraries the architectural firm would build.
The St. Agnes Branch was designated as part of the Upper West Side-Central Park West Historic District in 1990, and continues to operate as a branch of the New York Public Library. The building underwent a major renovation in 1953, and pendant lights were reintroduced on the first and second stories in 1995. The entrance door and windows are non-historic, and all the arches were subsequently filled in. A non-historic drop ceiling with fluorescent lights was added in the area above the vestibule.
Return to view the full list of Manhattan Carnegie Libraries: