Part of Clement Clark Moore’s former country estate, he developed and planned Chelsea after the Commissioners’ Plan of 1807-1811 cut an avenue and streets through his land. At its center is the General Theological Seminary and St. Peter’s, a country Gothic Revival church consecrated in 1832. Cushman Row, a row of Greek Revival town houses, dates to 1839-1840. Later, Italianate row houses were built. Apartment houses began being built in the 1890’s, and a few modern buildings from the 1930’s round out the district. Designated September 15, 1970, expanded February 3, 1981.
Title: Railings on the North Side of West 20th Street between 8th Avenue and 9th Avenue 3
Historic District: Chelsea
Keywords: Residential, row house, stoop, fence (wrought iron)
Description: Railing detail of row houses on the north side of West 20th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues
Extension Designation Report
Back to Manhattan Landmarks
To make an appointment to view all images from this historic district, please e-mail email@example.com or call (212) 614-9107.