Bronx Landmarks-Fieldston

Fieldston

Fieldston is made up of approximately 257 houses and related structures. Albert Wheeler, an engineer is responsible for the layout Fieldston. Wheeler’s plan, finalized in 1914, was based on recommendations made by Frederick Law Olmsted and James R.Croes who had surveyed the area in 1876. The neighborhood incorporated the natural  topography of winding roads, and wooded knolls instead of plowing through them. The neighborhood was developed mainly in the first half of the 20th century, in a variety of architectural styles including the Medieval, English Tudor, Mediterranean, Dutch, and Georgian Colonial,as well as formal modernist houses. Designated January 10, 2006

4684 Grosvenor AvenueTitle: 4684 Grosvenor Avenue

Borough: The Bronx

Historic District: Fieldston

Keywords: residential, balcony, round-arch window

Image: courtesy of LPC

Designation Report

Return to Bronx Landmarks

 

To make an appointment to view all images from this historic district, please e-mail hdc@hdc.org or call (212) 614-9107.

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127
E-mail: hdc@hdc.org

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.