Manhattan Landmarks-Gansevoort Market

Gansevoort

This district includes 104 residential, industrial, and commercial structures dating mainly from the 1840s to the 1940s. The majority were built as or adapted to be used as market buildings. While the area had been used as a marketplace earlier, a municipally sanctioned public market was opened in 1884. Brick facades, original metal canopies and Belgian block paving stones are all important characteristics of the district. Designated September 9, 2003.

Title: Looking Northeast from 9th Avenue and 13th Street 1

Borough: Manhattan

Historic District: Gansevoort Market

Keywords: Meatpacking District, Nick’s City Diner, Vento, Belgian brick paving, row house, commercial, residential

Description: View of buildings near the intersection of West 14th Street and 9th Avenue

Image #26

Designation Report Part 1

Designation Report Part 2

Back to Manhattan Landmarks

 

To make an appointment to view all images from this historic district, please e-mail hdc@hdc.org or call (212) 614-9107.

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127
E-mail: hdc@hdc.org

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.