Manhattan Landmarks-St. Nicholas
Developer David H. King, Jr. (whose famous projects included the base of the Statue of Liberty and Stanford White’s Madison Square Garden) had a series of elegant row houses built on the heights overlooking St. Nicholas Park between 1891 and 1893. James Brown Lord designed red brick houses in the Neo-Georgian style, and McKim, Mead & White were responsible for the Italian Renaissance Revival homes in dark brown mottled brick. The area became known as “Striver’s Row” in 1920s and 30s for the ambitious, talented African-Americans who moved here including famed musicians Eubie Blake, Noble Sissle, Fletcher Henderson and W.C. Handy. Designated March 16, 1967.
Title: South Side of West 139th Street 2
Historic District: St. Nicholas
Keywords: residential, brick (yellow), stoop, railing (wrought iron), row house
Description: Row houses on the south side of West 139th Street
Back to Manhattan Landmarks
To make an appointment to view all images from this historic district, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (212) 614-9107.