Queens Carnegie Libraries:Astoria Branch- Pictures
Queens Borough Public Library, Astoria Branch
14-01 Astoria Boulevard
Queens, NY 11102
Year(s) built: 1904
Year opened: 1904
Architect(s): Tuthill & Higgins
Status: Library, no designation
Originally this saffron brick building was built in the Flemish Revival style, featuring an angled corner entrance with a curved and stepped gable flanked by two tall chimneys. The original main entrance consisted of double doors and a transom surrounded by stone rustiaction on a either side and a stone flat arch on the top. Crowning the lintel was a stone broken arched pediment supported by two brackets with swags. A set of curved steps led to the doorway. The entrance was flanked by two first-floor windows with stone sills and topped with alternating brick and stone voussoirs. Above the door was a single narrow window with a stone sill, rustication and a stone triangular pediment with brackets. This small light was flanked by two stone plaques, each of which featured one word: “PVBLIC” on the left and “LIBRARY” on the right.
In the 1930s the structure was heavily renovated through the Federal Civil Works Administration. The angled corner was squared off, which created two new windows and made the structure three bays wide, two bays deep, and more rectangular. The original saffron brick pattern and tripartite window designs were carefully replicated in the new corner walls. A new stairway and main entrance were constructed, with narrow windows with stone sills and keystones on either side of the door. A basement entrance for children was created and the basement windows were widened. The original tile roof was replaced with slate and one chimney was removed.
Additional renovations took place in the 1960s, including a red brick projecting bay entrance with glass and aluminum doors. The bottom thirds of three first-story windows were filled in with red brick, as were the two small windows flanking the bay entrance. The red brick border that surrounds the children’s entrance was most likely added during this period as well.
The Astoria Library continues to serve as a branch of the Queens Borough Public Library.