Staten Island Carnegie Libraries:Stapleton Branch- Pictures
New York Public Library, Stapleton Branch
132 Canal Street,
Staten Island, NY 10304
Designed by Carrere & Hastings, architects. Built by E.E. Paul Company.
The Stapleton Branch is located on the corner of Canal Street and Wright Street on Staten Island.
Opened in 1907, the Stapleton Branch of New York Public Library is one of four Carnegie branches on Staten Island. The library building was designed by Carrere & Hastings whose firm designed all four Carnegie branches on Staten Island. The builder, the E.E. Paul Company, built the Stapleton, Tottenville, and Port Richmond branches. The building design is very similar to the larger Tottenville branch and almost identical to Port Richmond branch. The building design is inspired by classical architecture as seen in its symmetrical layout, entrance portico and Tuscan columns, and arched windows, yet its hipped shingle roof creates a subtle rustic quality.
The Stapleton Branch continues to operate as a branch of The New York Public Library. The original wood shingled roof replaced 1967, and the building underwent rehabilitations in 1939, 1953 and more recently.