Coney Island Pumping Station, Brooklyn

Coney Island Pumping Station_1
Address: 2301 Neptune Avenue

Architect:  Irwin S. Chanin

Constructed: 1938

LPC Action: Calendared 1980; Public Hearing in 1980

Irwin S. Chanin is probably best known for impressive landmarks like the Century and Majestic apartment buildings on Central Park West.  In Coney Island, Chanin was able to bring the elegant Art Moderene style to a utilitarian structure.  The elliptically shaped fire pumping station is faced in limestone over a granite base and features prismatic glass windows with steel surrounds.  Now sadly left abandoned in an overgrown lot, the building once proudly stood in the center of a large grassy plot with symmetrical plantings. Three wide, cement walks still lead up to the pump house from the streets, but the paired statues of horses, symbols of Neptune, have been removed to the Brooklyn Museum of Art.

 

About Us

The Historic Districts Council (HDC) is the advocate for all of New York City's historic neighborhoods. HDC is the only organization in New York that works directly with people who care about our city's historic neighborhoods and buildings. We represent a constituency of over 500 local community organizations.

Contact Us

Historic Districts Council
232 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 614-9107
Fax: (212) 614-9127
E-mail: hdc@hdc.org

Donate Now

Become a Friend of HDC! Your donation helps preserve, improve, and celebrate the places that make New York great.

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates on programs, events, action alerts, and our Landmarks Preservation Commission testimony.