Former Loew’s 175th Street Theatre, Manhattan
Address: 175th Street & Broadway
Architect: Thomas W. Lamb
LPC Actions: Calendared 1970; Public Hearing in 1970
The former Loew’s 175th Street Theatre opened its doors to the public in 1930 and, with a capacity of 3,600 seats, was the third largest movie theater in America. The building was the last of the five “Wonder Theatres”, grand, exotically-designed flagship theatres of the Loew’s movie theater empire, to be constructed. The exterior facades feature terra-cotta details in a whimsical combination of Art Deco, Egyptian, Aztec, Mayan, Moorish, and Oriental inspired styles designed by famous theater architect Thomas W. Lamb. Today the theatre is a church and is also rented out for special events.