The Brooklyn Carnegie Library:Walt Whitman Branch- Photos

 

The Brooklyn Carnegie Library:Walt Whitman Branch

 

93 Saint Edwards Street

Brooklyn, NY 11205

Year(s) built: 1908

Year opened: 1908

Architect(s): Rudolph L. Daus (Daus & Otto)

Builder(s): William L. Crow Construction Company

Status:  Library, no designation

The Brooklyn Carnegie Library:Walt Whitman Branch opened on September 1, 1908 with a performance by the Muller Music orchestra.  David Boody, President of the Carnegie Committee, presented the edifice to Arthur Somers, representing the Board of Education and the city.  Originally named the City Park Branch, the library became the Walt Whitman Branch in 1943 on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the Brooklyn poet’s birth.  The Walt Whitman Branch continues to serve as a division of the Brooklyn Public Library.