360 Irving Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11237
Year(s) built: 1923
Year opened: 1923
Architect(s): Edward L. Tilton
Builder(s): F.G. Fearon Company
Status: Library, no designation
The Washington Irving Branch, which replaced the Ridgewood Branch library, officially opened on May 16, 1923. Since its completion, the library underwent a rehabilitation in 1960-63. The historic hanging incandescent lighting fixtures were replaced by suspended fluorescent lights. Aside from the replacement entrance doors, most of the building’s features are still intact. The Washington Irving Branch continues to serve as a division of the Brooklyn Public Library.