113 Congress Street – Cobble Hill Historic District
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
An Italianate style rowhouse built in 1862. Application is to re-authorize and modify work to construct rooftop and rear yard additions, replace windows, install ironwork, and reconfigure the front areaway, approved pursuant to Certificate of Appropriateness 19-20951.
Architect: Hollberg Architecture
The Historic Districts Council does not object to the reauthorization of previously approved work.
We do question the proposed modification to substitute the approved open wrought iron rooftop railing with an all-glass railing. Our review committee notes that glass railings can often read as more visually solid and conspicuous than open metal railings, particularly when they catch the light. HDC is thus concerned that this modification could make the rooftop addition more prominent.
LPC-26-04118
491 Broadway – SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
A store building designed by Buchman & Deisler and built in 1896-1897. Application is to modify and legalize windows installed without Landmarks Preservation Commission permit(s) and install new windows.
The Historic Districts Council objects to the proposed legalization and modification of windows installed without LPC permits. The application’s addition of horizontal bars to single-pane tilt-and-turn windows does not convincingly recreate the appearance or proportions of historic double-hung sash and should not be accepted as a substitute for an appropriate window configuration.
Where replacement windows are required, the historic double-hung configuration should remain clearly legible. Alternative assemblies can accommodate contemporary performance requirements while maintaining the visual relationship of upper and lower sash. We are also concerned by the altered configuration at the rear, where the number and rhythm of openings have been substantially changed.
We urge the Commission to require replacement windows that properly reflect the historic fenestration of this cast-iron building.
LPC-26-12386
601 Lexington Avenue – Citicorp Center (now 601 Lexington Avenue) including St. Peter’s Lutheran Church – Individual Landmark
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
A late 20th century modern style skyscraper and mixed-use complex designed by Hugh A. Stubbins and built in 1973-78. Application is to install signage.
Architect: BXP Architects
The Historic Districts Council objects to the large illuminated red frame proposed around the 53rd Street entrance. Citicorp Center’s restrained, monochromatic exterior is a defining feature of the modern style landmark, and this brightly illuminated element is jarring and out of keeping with the building’s palette. If additional tenant visibility is desired, illuminated signage could instead be located behind the glass, preserving the integrity of the building’s exterior.
LPC-26-08125
49 West 88th Street – Upper West Side/Central Park West Historic District
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
A Romanesque Revival style rowhouse, with Romanesque and Gothic style elements, designed by Neville & Bagge and built in 1892-94. Application is to replace doors.
HDC finds the proposed replacement doors too heavy for this prominent location on a highly detailed historic rowhouse. Our committee believes the applicant should seek a finer door, with slightly slimmer rails and stiles, to better complement the rowhouse facade.
LPC-26-07056
211 East 62nd Street – Treadwell Farm Historic District
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
A rowhouse originally built in 1872-73 and enlarged with a new façade in the early 20th century. Application is to replace the doors and balcony railing.
The Historic Districts Council objects to the proposed replacement doors and balcony railing, which are overly elaborate and inconsistent with the restrained character of the building’s early 20th-century façade.
Historic photographs appear to indicate that the existing balcony railing is a historic feature, and its simple design is well suited to the architecture. It should be retained rather than replaced with the much more ornate proposed railing. While the existing doors may not be original, the proposed bronze doors introduce an elaborate decorative vocabulary that feel foreign to the building.
LPC-26-11743
890 Flatbush Avenue – Flatbush Dutch Reformed Church, Expanded Site, Individual Landmark – Individual Landmark
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
An ecclesiastical complex including a Federal/Georgian style church designed by Thomas Fardon and built 1793-1797 and altered c. 1850, an associated 17th-century cemetery, a neo-Georgian style Church Parish Hall built in 1922-1924, and a Greek Revival and Italianate style Church Parsonage built in 1853. Application is to install security cameras and lighting and legalize the installation of related poles installed without Landmarks Preservation Commission permits.
The Historic Districts Council recognizes the church’s need to improve security across this site and does not object to the installation of security cameras and lighting. We are, however, concerned that the number and placement of the proposed poles create an intrusive presence, particularly along the approach to the church and immediately in front of the parsonage.
We ask if the applicant can explore whether or not a few of the most prominent poles could be reconsidered—perhaps by mounting associated cameras on other existing structures or incorporating them into a thoughtfully designed lighting scheme.
While the site’s security needs may justify much of the proposed work, we believe the poles closest to these principal entrances merit more consideration to minimize their visual impact on this landmark.



