2017 Grassroots Preservation Awards- John J. Harvey Fireboat
Architect and preservationist Huntley Gill likes to get people out onto the water. He is the Captain of the fireboat John J. Harvey, which he and a dedicated group of volunteers saved from the scrap yard. Launched in 1931, the fireboat served the City of New York and New York Harbor until she retired in 1994. She was historic first; the first fireboat powered by internal combustion engines, and the largest, fastest fire fighting machine of her time, capable of pumping 18,000 gallons per minutes. On September 11, 2001, John J. Harvey was recalled to service by FDNY and reactivated, pumping water for 80 hours until water mains in Lower Manhattan were restored to service. Today the fireboat is moored at Pier 66 Maritime, at 26th Street and the Hudson River. The fireboat now serves as a operational museum and educational center, offering free public trips to New Yorkers and visitors.