Manhattan Carnegie Libraries- Hudson Park Branch- Photos
New York Public Library Hudson Park Branch
66 Leroy Street
New York, NY 10014
Year(s) built: 1904-06, 1920
Year opened: 1906
Architect(s): Carrere & Hastings
Builder(s): John T. Brady Company
Status: Library, falls within the Greenwich Village Historic District Extension II (June 22, 2010)
L-shaped in plan, the Hudson Park library is located on the southwest corner of Leroy Street and 7th Avenue, with one façade on the south side of Leroy Street and a much smaller façade on the west side of 7th Avenue between Leroy and Clarkson Streets. The building is situated to the east of a community recreation center and pool.
Completed by Carrere & Hastings in 1906, Hudson Park is one of fourteen Carnegie branches the architectural firm built in New York City.
The Hudson Park Branch Falls within the Greenwich Village Historic District Extension II (June 22, 2010) and continues to operate as a branch of the New York Public Library. The most significant alteration occurred in 1920, when Carrere & Hastings expanded the building eastward to the new 7th Avenue extension. As a result, the library abuts the west and south facades of a seven-story brick apartment building at the southwest corner of Leroy Street and 7th Avenue. Additional renovations were made in 1939. Certain ceilings have been partially lowered and newer fluorescent lighting fixtures were installed.
Return to view the full list of Manhattan Carnegie Libraries: