Carroll Garden’s history goes back to the purchase of a large tract of land by the Dutch West India Company from the Mohawk Indians in 1636, later known as Gowanus. The neighborhood got its name in the the mid-1960s, prior to that it was considered part of Red Hook. Carroll Gardens was named after Carroll Park which was named after Charles Carroll, a Maryland signer of the Declaration of Independence, in honor of the Maryland regiment which defended the the Old Stone House at Gowanus,” on Third Street, during the Revolutionary War Battle of Long Island.
Carroll Gardens Historic District – Designated September 25, 1973
Carroll Gardens Historic DistrictCarroll Gardens, Brooklyn, NY, USA
STATUS: Designated Historic District
South Congregational Church, Chapel, Ladies Parlor, and Rectory253-269 President Street, Brooklyn, NY, USA
STATUS: Designated Individual Landmark