Fulton Ferry has a long history. A ferry service between Brooklyn and New York had begun here in themid-17th century. The old Ferry Road was renamed Fulton Street in 1814, in honor of Robert Fulton, now know as Cadman Plaza West. The neighborhood developed in stages as a industrial and residentail, and commercial. The streets were widned in 1835 due to the incresed population, which allowed for great commercial growth. Possibly the oldest surviving office building in the City, The Long Island Insurance Company building built in 1834, is located in the district.
Fulton Ferry Historic District – Designated June 28, 1977