Governors Island is a 172-acre island in New York Harbor. The island’s name, made official in 1784, stems from the British colonial era, when the colonial assembly reserved the island for the exclusive use of New York’s royal governors. The island has a long history of military use starting in the Revolutionary war when the Continental army used it as a base. From 1783 to 1966, the island was a United States Army post, and later from 1966 to 1996, the island served as a major United States Coast Guard installation.
Today the island is a public park. 22 acres including the two forts, Fort Jay and Castle Williams were designated as the Governors Island National Monument and a Historic District. There are also several Individual Landmarks located within the Historic District.
May 30, 2007
A Peek At Some Ideas for Governors Island
Governors Island Historic DistrictGovernors Island, New York, NY, USA
STATUS: Designated Historic District