Longwood was originally part of the historic township of Morrisania. Longwood was mostly rural until the late 1800’s when plans for an IRT connection between Manhattan and the Bronx were announced. The Longwood Historic District and the Loonwood Historic District Extension feature houses in the Renaissance and Romanesque Revival styles, designed by Warren C. Dickerson between 1897 and 1900.
Longwood Historic District – Designated July 8, 1980
Longwood Historic District Extension – Designated February 8, 1983