The name “Sunnyside” originates with the Bragaw family, French Huguenots who had purchased the land in 1713 and named their estate “Sunnyside Hill”. Sunnyside was a rural hamlet mostly consisting of small farms and marshland. It was incorporated into Long Island City in 1870, and developed into a bedroom community after the Queensboro Bridge was completed in 1909. A large portion of the neighborhood is six-story apartment buildings constructed during the 1920s and 1930s.
Sunnyside Gardens Historic District – Designated: June 2007
Sunnyside shares borders with Hunters Point and Long Island City to the west, Astoria to the north, Woodside to the east and Maspeth to the south. It contains the Sunnyside Gardens Historic District, one of the first planned communities in the United States.
Sunnyside Gardens Historic DistrictSunnyside Gardens, Queens, NY, USA
STATUS: Designated Historic District