This was the first public girls’ high school in New York City. With its tall side tower, the building is a handsome example of the Collegiate Gothic style, a style which Snyder introduced for public school architecture. He gave it additional distinction with such Americanizing elements as shields with stars, stripes and ribbons and gabled wall dormers in the early French Renaissance style.
The building continued in use as a girls’ high school until 1953-54 when the school underwent some alterations and was converted as a co-educational junior high school (l.S. 88, opened in 1956). A complete recent renovation and restoration has insured the long term future of this building for educational use. Once again the building is an architectural centerpiece in this central Harlem community.
STATUS Designated Individual Landmark
Doreen Gallo: DUMBO Neighborhood Alliance
Zella Jones: NoHo Historic District; NoHo East; and NoHo Extension
Erika Petersen: West End Preservation Society