The Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries:Saratoga Branch
8 Thomas S. Boyland St
Brooklyn, NY 11233
Year(s) built: 1908
Year opened: 1908
Architect(s): R.L. Daus (Daus & Otto)
Builder(s): William L. Crow Construction Company
Status: Library, no designation
This one-story, seven-bay brick Classical Revival features projecting central entrance with large cartouche above and a pediment reading “BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY”. A stone base and stone trim including keystones over the windows and a dentilated cornice add ornament to the building. The branch underwent rehabilitation work in 1958-60, 1974 and 1990. A new door and transom recalling the the original have recently been installed. There is a later, second-story rear addition and a modern barrier free access ramp.
The branch’s interior features original details such as the ornate cast iron mezzanine railing with a fish scale pattern that matches the front door grill. The interior also has a plaster ceiling with simple cove molding, and a wood and glass vestibule screen.