New York Public Library 67th Street Branch
328 East 67th Street
New York, NY 10065
Year(s) built: 1905
Year opened: 1905
Architect(s): Babb, Cook & Willard
Builder(s): William L. Crow
Status: Library, no designation
The Manhattan Carnegie Library 67th Street branch is located on the south side of East 67th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues, and is set up against the sidewalk. The structure is one of twenty Carnegie branches built in Manhattan and one of sixty-seven throughout the whole city. Built in 1905 by Babb, Cook & Willard, the 67th Street Branch was one of seven Carnegie libraries the architectural firm would build.
The 67th Street Branch has several characteristics of the urban Carnegie library type. It has a classically-inspired style (a simplified Beaux-Arts model that was the preferred style for public structures in the early-Twentieth Century), three stories, an arched entrance that is not central, ornamental stone masonry, and tall, large arched windows on the first floor that allow an abundance of light into a relatively simple interior. In 1939 a new roof was installed along with additional repair work, and the building was significantly renovated in 1952-3. On the exterior, the windows and entrance door are replacements, and the skylight was subsequently filled in.
The 67th Street Branch continues to operate as a branch of the New York Public Library.
Return to view the full list of Manhattan Carnegie Libraries: