New York Public Library Columbus Branch
742 Tenth Avenue
New York, NY 10019
Year(s) built: 1909
Year opened: 1909
Architect(s): Babb, Cook & Willard
Builder(s): Thomas J. Brady Company
Status: Library, no designation
The Columbus library is located on the east side of 10th Avenue betweenWest 50th and West 51st Streets. It is one of twenty Carnegie libraries built in Manhattan and one of sixty-seven throughout the whole city. Designed by Babb, Cook & Willard in 1909, the Columbus Branch was one of seven Carnegie libraries the architectural firm would build.
The Columbus Branch continues to serve as a branch of the New York Public Library. The building was significantly altered in 1960 when the entire third floor was removed. The windows and entrance door are non-historic, and the front stone steps have been removed.
Return to view the full list of Manhattan Carnegie Libraries: