New York Public Library Washington Heights Branch
1000 – 1002 St. Nicholas Avenue
Manhattan, New York
Year built: 1914
Architect(s): Carrère & Hastings
Builder(s): Norcross Brothers & Company
Designation: Not designated
The Washington Heights Branch of the New York Public Library sits on a corner on a sloped site at the intersection of St. Nicholas Avenue and 160th Street just outside the Jumel Historic District, which was designated in 1970.
It is the eleventh of thirteen Carnegie Branch libraries to be designed by Carrère & Hastings, whom were responsible for the design of the most number of the branch libraries. It is the only Carnegie library to be built by Norcross Brothers & Company.
Incorporated in 1913, the Washington Heights Branch of the New York Public Library is a successor to the Washington Heights Free Library, a small community library that had been in operation since the mid nineteenth century.
Return to view the full list of Manhattan Carnegie Libraries: