The Ellis Island historic district was where from 1892 to 1954 over twelve million immigrants entered the United States. The island which is now twenty-seven-and-a-half-acre was built between the 1890s and 1930s, and is mostly man made. It contains some thirty interconnected structures, mostly in the Beaux-Arts classic style, the buildings were built as immigration facilities. The main building was linked to a kitchen and laundry building, a powerhouse, a baggage and dormitory building, all on what is now called Island No. 1. The hospital buildings, facing the main building across the ferry slip is on Island No. 2, were built between1901 and 1909. The new station opened on December 17, 1900, and on that day processed 2,251 immigrants. Designated: November 16, 1993
Title: Manhattan-Ellis Island-Main Hall Ellis Isle
Historic District: Ellis Island
Keywords: Beaux-Arts, brick, island
Description: View of the main hall across the water
To make an appointment to view all images from this historic district, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (212) 614-9107.