Queens Borough Public Library, Poppenhusen Branch
121-23 14th Avenue, and 13-16 College Point Boulevard
Queens, NY 11356
Year(s) built: 1904
Year opened: 1904
Architect(s): Heins & La Farge
Builder(s): Thomas Williams
Designation: New York City individual landmark
The Poppenhusen Branch is a New York City individual landmark and continues to operate as a branch of the Queens Borough Public Library. Its collection includes publications in Chinese, English, Hindi, Korean and Spanish.
Like all other Queens Carnegie branches, Poppenhusen was renovated in the 1930s with Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds. A singe-story rear addition that featured a children’s reading room was added in 1937. A World War II monument was placed in the library’s front lawn. In 1964 the branch was remodeled and in 1989 all the windows were replaced. All historic doors have been replaced as well. The Queens Borough Public Library has the biggest circulation of any metropolitan library system in the United States.