Queens Borough Public Library, Richmond Hill Branch
118-14 Hillside Avenue
Queens, NY 11418
Year(s) built: 1905
Year opened: 1905
Architect(s): Tuthill & Higgins
Status: Library, no designation
The building, designed by Tuthill & Higgins, architects in 1905, is situated on a triangular lot bordered by Hillside Avenue, Lefferts Boulevard, and the elevated tracks of the Long Island Railroad running along Babbage Street. Tuthill & Higgins designed the Astoria Branch as well. The building has several characteristics of the suburban Carnegie library type. Located in the less densely populated areas of the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens, these branches are most often freestanding structures within a larger lot. Frequently, the libraries feature brick walls with limestone ornamentation. Typically built in a Classical Revival style, the buildings have a symmetrical layout, large windows to allow an abundance of light into the reading rooms, and a prominent, decorative entrance.
The Richmond Hill Branch continues to serve as a branch of the Queens Borough Public Library.