New York Public Library, St. George Branch
The St. George Branch is located on a lot surrounded by Hyatt Street, Central Avenue and Bay Street at three sides on Staten Island.
Opened in 1907, the St. George Branch of New York Public Library is one of four Carnegie branches on Staten Island. The original library building was designed by Carrere & Hastings whose firm designed all four Carnegie branches on Staten Island. The builder was the J.C. Vreeland Building Company, who also built the Webster Carnegie Branch in Manhattan. The two and half-story St. George Branch is much larger than the other Carnegies on Staten Island reflecting the size and importance of this neighborhood also home of the ferry terminal and Borough Hall. The building design is inspired by classical architecture, and the original building design features a rectangular floor plan, limestone base at the first floor, brick wall at the second and third floor and a hipped roof with small dormers.
The St. George Branch continues to operate as a branch of The New York Public Library. A large North rear addition, which extends from West to East and perpendicular to the original building, was built in 1952 and major renovations were undertaken in 1963 and 1986.