New York Public Library, Tottenville Branch
7430 Amboy Road,
Staten Island, NY 10307
Designed by Carrere & Hastings, architects. Built by E.E. Paul Company.
The Tottenville library is located on the south side of Amboy Road between Brighton Avenue and Yetman Avenue. The building size is 81ft x 21ft and the building is set far back from the street on the southern portion of the site.
Built in 1903-1904, the Tottenville Branch of New York Public Library is the oldest public library in Staten Island and it was the first Carnegie branch on Staten Island. The library building was designed by Carrere & Hastings. The builder, the E.E. Paul Company, built the Stapleton, Tottenville, and Port Richmond branches. The building design is inspired by classical architecture as seen in its symmetrical layout, entrance portico and Tuscan columns, and arched windows, yet its hipped shingle roof creates a subtle rustic quality in keeping with the character of Tottenville.
The Tottenville Branch is a New York City Individual Landmark and continues to operate as a branch of The New York Public Library. The building was restored in 1991-1993 by architect John Ellis.